Bluetooth speakers for Avtex TV

stephen p replied on 04/10/2018 15:54

Posted on 04/10/2018 15:54

We have a 17"Avtex TV (2013 vintage) and we find the sound quality quite poor. We don't like to disturb neighbours by turning up the volume too high particularly as the music elements of programmes and adverts are sometimes very loud.

I had in my mind it would be a good thing to bring the sound from the TV a little closer by linking it to a Bluetooth soundbar style speaker which we could put on the front window shelf by the table.

Not wanting to re-invent the wheel I would love to hear from anyone who has done this and any recommendations as to what equipment to use.

NevChap replied on 04/10/2018 16:00

Posted on 04/10/2018 16:00

I don't have an Avtex TV just a cheap one that has terrible sound. I purchased a small soundbar from Currys (it was on offer for about £25 when I bought it last year). I have it plugged into the TV but it is Bluetooth so I can play my phone apps through it if I want (which I don't!). The sound is so much better than the original TV.

SteveL replied on 04/10/2018 18:40

Posted on 04/10/2018 18:40

Out Avtex, similar vintage but 19 inch, does not have any blue tooth capability. So I would think any sound bar would need connecting directly. You would have to be sure the sound bar had appropriate connections for the Avtex. Ours at home is an optical connection, which I don't think our Avtex has.

stephen p replied on 04/10/2018 21:55

Posted on 04/10/2018 21:55

There are plenty of soundbar type speakers available, even Avtex make one with Bluetooth but, as mentioned these need to be wired into the TV. I am hoping to avoid running wires around the caravan by using a Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the TV headphone socket (or HDMI socket or the USB socket perhaps).

There are plenty of Bluetooth transmitters advertised, varying prices, but I am hoping for some recommendations for sounbars and for BT transmitters, I am hoping somebody has tried this before, successfully!!

mickysf replied on 05/10/2018 05:47

Posted on 05/10/2018 05:47

It doesn't  have to be a sound bar, there are some excellent quality Bluetooth portable speakers which can be placed anywhere in the van. Alternatively, a pair of blue toothhead phones or ear buds.

Some of the Avtex TVs also have radio transmitters built in for sound and can be played through the van's own radio speakers or with a plug in receiver for those headphones or portable speaker.. 

jennyc replied on 05/10/2018 07:38

Posted on 05/10/2018 07:38

Unless you intend to spend a lot of money, you’ll be hard pressed to improve on the sound from your van’s built in radio speakers. Our radio has a phono type input on the front panel. Wires, yes I know, Bluetooth transmitters and receivers can be introduced, or embrace to future with streaming and look at computer/ pad speakers.

replied on 10/10/2018 15:58

Posted on 10/10/2018 15:58

I tryed this in my last van. I used a Bluetooth transmitter connected to the headphone socket to the TV linked to the Bluetooth on the radio it worked OK however there was a sound lag with the speech on the TV.  It drove me daft I ended up running a wire around the inside of the caravan to the aux socket of the radio. In my new van got a soundbar under the avtex. 

richardandros replied on 12/10/2018 05:57

Posted on 10/10/2018 15:58 by

I tryed this in my last van. I used a Bluetooth transmitter connected to the headphone socket to the TV linked to the Bluetooth on the radio it worked OK however there was a sound lag with the speech on the TV.  It drove me daft I ended up running a wire around the inside of the caravan to the aux socket of the radio. In my new van got a soundbar under the avtex. 

Posted on 12/10/2018 05:57

To rely on bluetooth to transmit sound from the TV, you need what is known as a 'low latency' transmitter and speaker - or headphones. The time lag is less than 20ms and undetectable by the human ear/eye. I have this set-up at home and it works perfectly - only trouble is, the cheapest are about £65.

Amesford replied on 14/10/2018 11:17

Posted on 14/10/2018 11:17

We bought a cheap bluetooth  sender about £6 which plugs into the headphone socket and powered from the USB socket, we already had a bluetooth  speaker which works fine but on my bluetooth headphones there is a time lag. so it was worth the punt

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook