Awning windblocker

dougA replied on 17/03/2018 13:37

Posted on 17/03/2018 13:37

Hi been looking at the wind blocker for my dometic awning on my motorhome.

http://windblockers.net/

The video on there website shows how it cuts down the wind. They also fold up very small and weigh roughly 1.5kg.

Has anyone bought these or has anyone got any feedback good or bad on this windblocker?

Not sure if these fit onto the dometic awning or would I need the expanding poles to hang it on.

Cheers

Doug

Daisy2 replied on 17/03/2018 16:02

Posted on 17/03/2018 16:02

I bought one last year. It was just a random front panel for my Fiamma awning (had a motorhome at the time).  As it was just an 'odd' one it didn't cost very much (£20ish from memory). For the price it was good but not sure I would have been impressed at full price. Basically a coloured voile with elastic straps for pegging. Did make it feel a bit more private, and does reduce wind a little. The complete room panels might be good. Helps reduce sun glare into van a bit too.  Lightweight and doesn't take up too much space.

Daisy

cyberyacht replied on 18/03/2018 13:03

Posted on 18/03/2018 13:03

I've just bought one for my MH which has the Dometic canopy. I've brought it away with me for a "fitting" but it's too blooming cold to stand out there today fiddling about with it. I have the sprung loaded poles for the end blinds. Watch this space.

dougA replied on 18/03/2018 13:28

Posted on 17/03/2018 16:02 by Daisy2

I bought one last year. It was just a random front panel for my Fiamma awning (had a motorhome at the time).  As it was just an 'odd' one it didn't cost very much (ยฃ20ish from memory). For the price it was good but not sure I would have been impressed at full price. Basically a coloured voile with elastic straps for pegging. Did make it feel a bit more private, and does reduce wind a little. The complete room panels might be good. Helps reduce sun glare into van a bit too.  Lightweight and doesn't take up too much space.

Daisy

Posted on 18/03/2018 13:28

Hi Daisy, yes it’s all the panels I was looking at as I like the idea of how small it packs away. The ad shows it must stop the wind as there’s candles at the other side of the netting from a powerful fan.

Thanks for your feedback ๐Ÿ‘

dougA replied on 18/03/2018 13:39

Posted on 18/03/2018 13:03 by cyberyacht

I've just bought one for my MH which has the Dometic canopy. I've brought it away with me for a "fitting" but it's too blooming cold to stand out there today fiddling about with it. I have the sprung loaded poles for the end blinds. Watch this space.

Posted on 18/03/2018 13:39

Hi Cyberyaucht, I’ll wait for your feedback if you ever get the windblocker up as it doesn’t look like the cold is going away anytime soon ๐Ÿ™.

I also have the elddis with the dometic awning. Was just looking for a little shelter from all sides and the front. I thought these looked good for that purpose and that they don’t look too difficult to fit and most of all how small it packs away.

My other thoughts was which one to buy old style windblocker which comes in three parts to the new one called the Gemini which comes in 2 parts  which join together on the front panel. 

Also on the old style windblocker you have the option of buying with the inner membrane for added weather protection and more privacy.

Does the front panel slot into the awning rail and did you purchase the spring loaded poles with the windblocker?

I will wait for your feedback once you have managed to fit it ๐Ÿ‘

young thomas replied on 18/03/2018 14:29

Posted on 18/03/2018 13:03 by cyberyacht

Posted on 18/03/2018 14:29

I had been thinking about one for this year, TG has one and they've found it useful...

pas it happens, a guy on the AS forum was selling a geniune Thule side panel which matches our awning so I nipped in and got that one...

ive checked it out for size and fitting and all ok, but not yet had a chance to try it in anger, like CY will report back as and when....

Tammygirl replied on 18/03/2018 17:43

Posted on 18/03/2018 17:43

As BB says we have the full set of the ones with the inner curtains.

Very useful for sun shade especially in the back end of the year when the sun is lower. Good for light to medium strength  wind but in strong winds we don't use them, not because they don't work, just that we put the canopy away.

We have never used all 3 other than to try them. As we tend to holiday abroad they are used more for sun shade, so 1 side and the front.

With hindsight we could have done without the curtain ones just the plain net ones would be fine for us.  1 end panel and the front would also have been sufficient. I have made a few mods to them by sewing ties onto the front panel halfway down so I can tie them to the legs. By doing this we then don't  need to peg the front down, handy if you just need to drop the front for a few hours each day. 

Tammygirl replied on 18/03/2018 17:54

Posted on 18/03/2018 13:39 by dougA

Hi Cyberyaucht, Iโ€™ll wait for your feedback if you ever get the windblocker up as it doesnโ€™t look like the cold is going away anytime soon ๐Ÿ™.

I also have the elddis with the dometic awning. Was just looking for a little shelter from all sides and the front. I thought these looked good for that purpose and that they donโ€™t look too difficult to fit and most of all how small it packs away.

My other thoughts was which one to buy old style windblocker which comes in three parts to the new one called the Gemini which comes in 2 parts  which join together on the front panel. 

Also on the old style windblocker you have the option of buying with the inner membrane for added weather protection and more privacy.

Does the front panel slot into the awning rail and did you purchase the spring loaded poles with the windblocker?

I will wait for your feedback once you have managed to fit it ๐Ÿ‘

Posted on 18/03/2018 17:54

I have posted above and hope some of your questions have been answered.

We did buy the poles along with the blockers.

We have the ones with the inner blue membrane, never use it they stay rolled up. The ties (loops) are not in the same place on the blue membrane as the nets so lots of pegs are required, I moved ours just in case we decided to use them.

The ones we have are 2 sides and a front, the sides on ours wrap round about 12" at the front, we tend not to do that as its a pain in the neck.

On the Fiamma the front does indeed slide into the channel.

dougA replied on 18/03/2018 19:10

Posted on 18/03/2018 19:10

That’s great TG, this answers most of my questions. As we holiday mostly in the UK at present I was thinking the ones with the membrane would be best for a rainy days.

Do the wind blockers with the membrane pack up small without any difficulties and what is the issue with the wrap round ends? Is it just the windblocker with the membrane that overlaps the leg?

Im not sure if the standard 4.5 mtr one will fit so I’ll measure up when away this weekend.

Cheers ๐Ÿ‘

Tammygirl replied on 18/03/2018 22:58

Posted on 18/03/2018 19:10 by dougA

Thatโ€™s great TG, this answers most of my questions. As we holiday mostly in the UK at present I was thinking the ones with the membrane would be best for a rainy days.

Do the wind blockers with the membrane pack up small without any difficulties and what is the issue with the wrap round ends? Is it just the windblocker with the membrane that overlaps the leg?

Im not sure if the standard 4.5 mtr one will fit so Iโ€™ll measure up when away this weekend.

Cheers ๐Ÿ‘

Posted on 18/03/2018 22:58

1. The membrane is on the inside, so the net would still get wet but it doesn't take long to dry out.

2. They do still roll up quite small, we have the 2 sides in one bag and the front in another bag, blockers were bought at a show so we got the bags with them.

3. The issue I have with the wrap around bit is that if you have them all pegged down then its a pain trying to get back in and out. We tend not to peg them down as we don't leave them up all the time. We tend to move quite often so can be a pain, we moved to a mh to get away from the awning set up.wink

4. Because the canopies can be an issue with strong wind another reason we don't leave them out.

5. As I  said above I have sewn  ties on the front panel sides so I  can fasten them to the canopy legs, then at the bottom I just loop the elastic over the foot of the legs. This way if we have to take them down quick there is no pegs to have to pull out.

6. As they are designed to block the wind, if used as a sun shade (we do) it can if all 3 used get very hot and breathless inside. As the sun cannot be in 3 directions at once we tend to only use 1 or 2 at the same time.wink

7. If using the sides you really need the canopy out full with the wrap arounds or you have to have a gather in them somewhere.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook