Avtex Tourer Three data management

ClubMember7321B5C6CD replied on 11/04/2024 08:20

Posted on 11/04/2024 08:20

I have a Garmin Avtex Tourer Three bought through the club. Generally, I'm quite happy with it.

Read https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-CA7AA54D-CB83-4144-9D67-F6EFCC67D442/EN-GB/GUID-C28A9B86-1F38-493B-AA9B-48BBB0755594-homepage.html/ . Installed "Garmin Express" - useful for updating the maps in the device.

Later this month we're setting off on a 5-6 week tour with multiple sites & destinations, mostly in Germany. So I thought it would be really useful to be able to create a list & load it into the device. I'm pretty "computer savvy"* so pleased to see a little section on "data management" in the user guide - I can attach the device to my laptop & drag a file on to it.

The recent routes are there already as a GPX 1.1 file.

I've dragged a second GPX file to the folder. So far, so good.

Does anyone know how to get the device to notice the new route / points of interest that are now in its "GPX" folder?

*well, to Chartered Engineer level & chairing an international standards committee, as well as "just using them".

Peter
Benimar Mileo 201 owner for a year

peedee replied on 11/04/2024 19:32

Posted on 11/04/2024 19:32

I thought Garmin required .csv files to be loaded from external sources?

I do not have a Garmin but the way I do it is transfer files from my PC  into the location where POI files are stored on my sat Nav. Then when I switch on the sat nav it tells me new files are found and I just then follow the on screen instruction.to name them and link an icon to them.

The key is to find out where your POI files are stored and in what format.

peedee

wh1nbrew replied on 12/04/2024 19:00

Posted on 12/04/2024 19:00

I don't have a separate satnav for use when towing the caravan, but simply use the car one, plus LinNav (wife + paper map!!).  However I do have Garmin GPS units for the motorbike and walking / cycling etc.  I always use Garmin Basecamp for identifying locations, planning routes etc, and simply download whatever is useful to the GPS folder "Internal Storage".  All this info then becomes accessible on these units. 

I also have an old car Garmin satnav, bought before (cheap) cars had satnavs almost by default.  Unfortunately waypoints / routes etc do not become usable on this unit - but it is ten years + old.  If your GPS unit is fairly recent, then I would expect you should be able to use Basecamp and download in this manner.  

Basecamp is not the most intuitive piece of software, but it works well.  Lots of guidance on the internet - GPS training, New England Riders amongst others.  

I have never tried using csv files, but would be a bit surprised if they transferred usable info,

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook