Avtex Satnav. Club edition

RayJJ replied on 23/01/2020 12:39

Posted on 23/01/2020 12:39

Has anyone had experience of the Club’s Avtex Satnav, please?  I have previously used a Snooper with mixed feelings as some of the routes were questionable.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/01/2020 13:05

Posted on 23/01/2020 13:05

I’ve got Tourer One because it was a standard fitting in my MH.

Mine works as well as any other Garmin sat nav but I’d not pay the club's price just for having a couple of apps installed. Garmin themselves sell an equivalent model into which you can input your vehicle dimensions.

Be aware that, in my experience, despite having the apps installed it’s still necessary to follow the club's written directions on the final approach as the sat nav won’t necessarily take you to the site entrance.

You'll find other similar threads if you search around.

lornalou1 replied on 23/01/2020 16:52

Posted on 23/01/2020 16:52

Plan route, take notes and get co-pilot to give directions. No satnav needed. What did everyone do before them.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/01/2020 17:29

Posted on 23/01/2020 17:29

Struggled with not knowing which lane to take on a roundabout, where the correct turning was, where the next hold up might be etc etc.

Whats your experience of the Garmin Avtex, LL?

RayJJ replied on 25/01/2020 18:04

Posted on 25/01/2020 18:04

Thank you for the helpful replies. I might try Copilot.  Having looked at the promotional video which shows a holder for an iPad I can’t find out from where these can be purchased.  Any thoughts, please?

Griffash replied on 04/03/2020 08:12

Posted on 04/03/2020 08:12

We’ve recently bought the Avtex Tourer One, whilst I’ve not used it with the caravan yet, I have used it in my car (to get used to using it, before I really need to) and I found it really good, clear timely voice instructions & map details on the screen. 😊

SamRo replied on 17/06/2020 19:58

Posted on 17/06/2020 19:58

Hi, has anyone actually bought the Avtex Tourer 2?  It's a few quid cheaper at Capital Outdoors and yet to me appears expensive regardless.  I would appreciate your opinion as an owner.  at the moment I use a Michelin Europe Atlas.  Many thanks and stay safe, Sam.

bill replied on 18/06/2020 10:10

Posted on 17/06/2020 19:58 by SamRo

Hi, has anyone actually bought the Avtex Tourer 2?  It's a few quid cheaper at Capital Outdoors and yet to me appears expensive regardless.  I would appreciate your opinion as an owner.  at the moment I use a Michelin Europe Atlas.  Many thanks and stay safe, Sam.

Posted on 18/06/2020 10:10

I bought a Avtex Tourer 2 last year and am very pleased with it although I do admit that it is rather expensive.  I must admit that I do check routes before I go as I tow on my own so don't have the beauty of a navigator but the sat nav is a good reminder of impending turnings and lane discipline.

Not had many problems with questionable routes, although I have exaggerated the size i.e. length, width, height,  and found a few things that surprised me.  It will warn you of dangerous bends (which I think it refers to as curves) and strong winds.  The traffic warnings do seem to be accurate although on a few occasions the problem has been in my vicinity rather than the actual road I was on.  It also shows text messages from your mobile phone and can be updated via WiFi without computer or can be connected to a computer the choice is yours.

I was going to invest in their wireless reversing camera, the BC40 I think it is, as it can be used in conjunction with the Tourer 2 screen.  While the demo was first class with easy operation  and superb image the unit itself is very flimsy and merely clips into a plastic carrier and I would have thought could easily fall out with wear or be stolen.  Bill

GrahamS1 replied on 14/08/2020 23:06

Posted on 14/08/2020 23:06

I am new to Motorhoming and have bought an Avtex Tourer 2 sat nav. I like the fact it has the Club sites listed. I also find the directions are clear and the map easy to use. However, when I went to the Chatsworth site this week, as I came out of Baslow it told me the site was on the right when it is in fact on the left. fortunately I did know it was on the left, but if I didn't it could have been confusing.

Tinwheeler replied on 14/08/2020 23:16

Posted on 14/08/2020 23:16

Yep, it seems to work to postcodes so you still need to follow the clubs written instructions. Great, eh?🙄

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook