Auto Satellite TV Domes

SeeFarers replied on 12/09/2019 17:29

Posted on 12/09/2019 17:29

I am looking to buy a roof-mounted automatic sat tv dome for my motorhome.  I would welcome anyones advice on make, model and size from their experiences. 

I am not interested in using it on the continent (been there, got the tee shirt) but only in the UK, mainly northern Scotland and Ireland.  I only want Freesat, access to Astra 1 & 2 and twin LNB.  Quality and reliability are more important to me than price.

I have experience of sat tv using a manual, 85cm wind-up roof mounted dish and prefer to not go down that route this time.  I have an 8 metre, low profile van with a flat, mostly uncluttered roof, so the height of the dome is a factor but not at the expense of reception.

ocsid replied on 12/09/2019 17:37

Posted on 12/09/2019 17:37

Not that I can help, but is there a specific reason for being so prescriptive that it has to be a "dome" relative to automated dishes and flat panels? Howling gales in your chosen locations?

Just feel the wider option field might bring you some alternative solutions, and the dome route infers a particular minimum height issue.

SeeFarers replied on 12/09/2019 17:44

Posted on 12/09/2019 17:44

Thank you ocsid for your valid comment.  I know a dish to be vulnerable to gusts and that they need to be brought down when the wind gets up.  I am prepared to accept the reduced options. I say this from very bitter experience!

peedee replied on 12/09/2019 19:56

Posted on 12/09/2019 19:56

I have had a Tracvision RL4 (this model is no longer produced) twin LNB dome. It has been very reliable this past 8 years although it has been difficult to set up with all the satellite changes that have been made over the years so I don't rate my model to be overly user friendly. As a company with agencies in the UK I  have found them helpful and I believe their products to be well made coming from the marine environment.

peedee

SeeFarers replied on 12/09/2019 23:30

Posted on 12/09/2019 23:30

Thanks peedee, the current version is the RV1 which is a superior system without a doubt. At around £3000 with installation it is beyond my needs although if I came into some money it looks hard to beat for quality.  It is designed to provide sat tv on the move, hence the price.

You make a good point about system changes over time and this is something to bear in mind.

peedee replied on 13/09/2019 07:33

Posted on 13/09/2019 07:33

There are now many more players in the market than 8/10 years ago and it  looks like Tracvision have abandoned the bottom end of the vehicle leisure market. There certainly isn't the range they used to sell.

I have no experience of any other makes but Satfi do an interesting range of models. Have a look at >Satsuperstore.< It may also be worthwhile going to the NEC show and other shows to hopefully see and have demonstrated what is available.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook