Anyone know of a good dehumidifier?

Clivevon replied on 27/10/2020 18:48

Posted on 27/10/2020 18:48

Anyone know of a good, reliable 240 volt mains electrical dehumidifier for a caravan? My not very old desiccant Meaco DD8L Junior has broken down – again - & I need to replace it.

I have found that using a dehumidifier on middle setting, together with an electric convector heater plugged into a digital thermostat socket (the ET05 Timeguard) set to come on at say 7 degrees C, has meant I can leave everything on board over winter without any damp or mould problems at all. Certainly saves a lot of work compared with shifting everything home, & then back in the spring. The low heater setting means the electricity consumption is also pretty low in our UK weather.

I’m actually pretty disappointed & annoyed with the Meaco. I bought it for my boat because it was Best Buy in the Practical Boat Owner magazine test a few years back but in my experience is 100% unreliable. I bought it in late 2016 & used it for 3 months that winter & then also the next 2 winters. Sometime during the 3rd winter it stopped working & was electrically dead. I returned it for repair under warranty early last year & put it back on the boat last autumn. Now it is dead again – same issue as far as I can see. Meaco say it is out of warranty & obsolete & they cannot now get the parts to repair it. From 2016 !!! They offer me 20% off a new Meaco dehumidifier. I pushed hard for 50% but no budging. Anyway, why would I buy another one from them? It lasted what – 4 winters?

I have a compressor dehumidifier in my caravan (RV) from Clarke which has worked faultlessly doing exactly the same job every winter for maybe 15 years ? I‘ve lost count. It shows up the Meaco for the piece of junk it is. I would buy another one like that in a flash but of course it has been discontinued… Probably because it lasts too long…

So I have put the Clarke machine on the boat & now urgently need a new machine for the caravan. 1st decision is: compressor or desiccant. Dessicant is supposed to be much more efficient for what I use it for – unattended in low temperatures onboard down to say 5 degrees C – with more durability due to less moving parts – but that has most definitely not been my experience. Quite the opposite as far as durability is concerned.

Is that just my bad luck? Anyone had a good experience of a dessicant dehumidifier in this sort of application? It must have a continuous drain facility.
I also found this guide on the web. Any comments?
https://www.dehumidifiersuk.com/guid...rees%20celsius.

lornalou1 replied on 30/10/2020 16:09

Posted on 30/10/2020 16:09

Where is the caravan that allows the use of electric when not using the van?? Most storage sites don't have elec and I thought that seasonal pitches you have to disconnect when van not used. I'm probably wrong though. undecided

Lutz replied on 01/11/2020 12:10

Posted on 01/11/2020 12:10

What makes you think that you need a dehumidifier in the caravan? For the last 30 years my caravan has been stored out in the open without any dehumidifier and never suffered as a consequence. I just take care to provide adequate ventilation. Maybe if I were to use the caravan during the winter months it is possible that I may feel the need to remove any residual clamminess inside before I go, but that would only be in immediate preparation for the trip, say a day or two before leaving home and I would do that with the heater.

scoutman replied on 01/11/2020 12:52

Posted on 01/11/2020 12:52

Good ventilation and sunshine, any electrical, mechanical or chemical device will simply draw moisture in from the atmosphere. Pointless.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook