And I thought I had everything I needed!!

Merve replied on 14/04/2018 19:15

Posted on 14/04/2018 19:15

Over the years, like all of you, I had collected bits and bobs that would be useful to any caravanner. You know the sort of thing- fuses, bulbs, spare matches. Spare charging leads for phones and other appliances, bits of cord, glue, screws and a plethora of other useful bits that we keep in a purpose made box bought from a local B&M . I honestly thought I had the solution for any eventuality! WRONG! On the trip to North Norfolk the sink in the washroom became very slow to drain and became worse and worse until it virtually stopped. No problem I thought, I had a bottle of Fenwicks tank and pipe cleaner in the van so I used some over night- no improvement! Tried some more together with bleach- no improvement. Tried some more thinking this blockage has to ‘melt’ at sometime. No improvement! Knowing there is a market at Sheringham on a Saturday morning, I went on the hunt for something that I hadn’t used for years- a good old fashioned sink plunger! Not only did I find one,  but it was a compact size and perfect for a caravan. I had spent £6 on the Fenwicks. I paid £2.20 on the plunger and the plunger won! Within 10 seconds the sink and pipes were clear and running freely. Another piece of kit that will accompany us on our travels- and it’s lighter than a bottle of Fenwicks!! 

replied on 15/04/2018 08:36

Posted on 15/04/2018 08:36

Careful with that sink plunger. Push together drain piping can become pop apart drain piping and a half full sink or basin of water goes a long way. laughing

replied on 15/04/2018 08:44

Posted on 15/04/2018 08:44

Reminds me - off topic. 20+ years ago crossing a side road with 14 year old daughter one very hot summers day (traders were selling cokes from baths of ice) the driver of a large convertible decided not to give pedestrians their right of way and drove at me and others crossing. I had just opened a 1 pint carton of milk wide to slake my thirst. I pulled my daughter back with one hand and as the car virtually brushed past me I dropped the open carton of milk behind the drivers seat. I had to go back and buy another although I did not feel it a waste.

replied on 15/04/2018 09:10

Posted on 14/04/2018 19:15 by Merve

Over the years, like all of you, I had collected bits and bobs that would be useful to any caravanner. You know the sort of thing- fuses, bulbs, spare matches. Spare charging leads for phones and other appliances, bits of cord, glue, screws and a plethora of other useful bits that we keep in a purpose made box bought from a local B&M . I honestly thought I had the solution for any eventuality! WRONG! On the trip to North Norfolk the sink in the washroom became very slow to drain and became worse and worse until it virtually stopped. No problem I thought, I had a bottle of Fenwicks tank and pipe cleaner in the van so I used some over night- no improvement! Tried some more together with bleach- no improvement. Tried some more thinking this blockage has to ‘melt’ at sometime. No improvement! Knowing there is a market at Sheringham on a Saturday morning, I went on the hunt for something that I hadn’t used for years- a good old fashioned sink plunger! Not only did I find one,  but it was a compact size and perfect for a caravan. I had spent £6 on the Fenwicks. I paid £2.20 on the plunger and the plunger won! Within 10 seconds the sink and pipes were clear and running freely. Another piece of kit that will accompany us on our travels- and it’s lighter than a bottle of Fenwicks!! 

Posted on 15/04/2018 09:10

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 15/04/2018 09:13

Posted on 15/04/2018 09:13

Worth a try David and one to remember. a bit of carrot as a temporary plug on outflow, some hot water and a bio tab

replied on 15/04/2018 09:16

Posted on 15/04/2018 09:13 by

Worth a try David and one to remember. a bit of carrot as a temporary plug on outflow, some hot water and a bio tab

Posted on 15/04/2018 09:16

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

peedee replied on 15/04/2018 09:46

Posted on 15/04/2018 09:16 by

Hadn't thought about the carrot, just shows what a useful place this forum can be. 

Thanks

Posted on 15/04/2018 09:46

is that to encourage it to run better!

peedee

Merve replied on 15/04/2018 10:19

Posted on 15/04/2018 09:10 by

Merve

Have you considered trying a bio washing  capsule to "eat "the blockage?

We have tried it with some success when the drains have become smelly, 

Posted on 15/04/2018 10:19

David, no Ihadn’t but seems to make good sense. If it happens again I’ll give it a whirl before reaching for the old tech🤣🤣 Thanks for the tip re pipework Easy- definitely worth knowing- it appears mine is glued so no probs.

Bluemalaga replied on 15/04/2018 11:35

Posted on 15/04/2018 08:36 by

Careful with that sink plunger. Push together drain piping can become pop apart drain piping and a half full sink or basin of water goes a long way. laughing

Posted on 15/04/2018 11:35

On this point, it is worth giving the pipes a regular check or add a wrap of insulation tape to stop them coming apart during travel.

Set up last year all looked fine until we returned from a stroll around the site to see water dripping from the wheel arch.

Found the cause to be the waste pipe from the sink had come apart and the water, clean fortunately, flushed through to prime the water heater had leaked into the cupboard out of sight. 

lornalou1 replied on 15/04/2018 12:56

Posted on 15/04/2018 12:56

another good thing about the carrot tip, you can do the job in the dark.foot-in-mouth

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook