Alloy wheels.

EalingBob replied on 25/07/2023 17:26

Posted on 25/07/2023 17:26

Evening all.

I have a Bailey Pegasus 524. Unfortunately, I managed to damage one of the caravan alloy wheels and I'm trying to source a replacement. It's proving difficult as the van is now 10yrs old.

Steel rims are easy to replace but that means you can't use the standard wheel lock and the van will look a bit stupid (to me at least) or I could alternatively swop the wheels over. Has anyone an answer?

On another issue, the reason why the wheel was damaged was because my manual motor mover got caught in a pothole on Keele services (south). The clearance is only about 2 inches and if you contact a deeper one you've got a chance of doing a lot of damage. Beware!

Cornersteady replied on 25/07/2023 18:07

Posted on 25/07/2023 18:07

Hello

Do you mean the Alko wheel lock? Well you could use a good enough substitute like a Millenco Wraith, which in my experience is far easier to fit actually, or as you say swop the wheels over, I know what you mean by looking stupid to you, I'd be highly conscious of the fact too, but in reality no one sees both wheels at the same time and I suspect no one would notice. Or find an alloy wheel that looks more or the less the same?

Also steel rims are heavier, not sure if this would affect anything?

I assume you've tried caravan breakers? Just do a google search and few national ones come up.

Oh and check with your insurance about using a different wheel lock, some do stipulate a certain type.

Tinwheeler replied on 25/07/2023 18:39

Posted on 25/07/2023 18:39

If you can’t source one alloy wheel, why not find 2 steel wheels which will then match aesthetically and in terms of weight. You will, though, need more expert advice than mine as to size, stud fixing and type. Get those wheels balanced too 👍🏻

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook