Alde Load Limite

MDD10 replied on 03/06/2017 21:05

Posted on 03/06/2017 21:05

i have acquired a new van with Alde heating and the load limiter fitted.  I have had it set to 14kw limit but when away it I tripped the electrical supply.  I asked the dealer earlier to check it and they said  I must be using it incorrectly.  However, having gone through th manuals, I can't see that I have done anything incorrect, although I am puzzled that both the Sergeant comtrol panel and Alde panel both show a limiter and am unsure which should be set.  I tested it whilst it showed the load and with the heating on I switched to kettle on which sent it miles over the sixteen Kw limit.  Can anyone suggest anything I'm doing incorrectly in setting it.  

Many thanks

KjellNN replied on 05/06/2017 18:40

Posted on 05/06/2017 18:40

Are you 100% sure the load limiter is actually fitted?  On our panel,  just because the "amps" sign is there, it does not mean it is actually fitted.

If it is fitted, is it fitted correctly?  The sensor is a circular device with a hole in the middle through which one core of the supply cable, either live or neutral, but not both, must pass.  The cable from the device (2 core) is plugged in to the Alde control panel, is it plugged in and is it in the correct socket?

The device is technically called a current transformer, it senses how much current is flowing in the cable.

We have a different (not Seargent) control panel and no load limiter shows on ours, so I cannot comment on that, but I would assume that the current limit can only be set on the Alde panel as that is what the device is connected to.

Please remember that the device will only limit what the Alde boiler is using, if you use too many other appliances you would still trip the bollard or van breaker.

Which model of panel do you have?  Ours is probably the older one and on it the setting of the limit is very easy, you just go to the correct function and select the number of amps you have available.

When ours is limiting the amps the Alde is using, the little "amp" sign flashes slowly, but our panel does not show how many amps we are actually using.

KjellNN replied on 05/06/2017 18:55

Posted on 05/06/2017 18:55

Got timed out......

I can only speak about our system, if yours is much newer then the connections may be different, but the way it works will be similar.  If you can give me your panel model I can look through the instructions.

crusader replied on 28/06/2017 23:47

Posted on 28/06/2017 23:47

do you mean the power setting where you have 1kw, 2kw,3kw if so and you set it to 3kw and 3kw is not available then it cant draw 3kw.  I set ours on 2kw and dont have a problem. I suggest you don't use a domestic kettle, buy a gas/electric hob kettle, I take it that you have an electric hob plate on you cooker ?

MDD10 replied on 29/06/2017 16:31

Posted on 29/06/2017 16:31

Found the problem.  The dealer gave me the incorrect settings when I collected the van (got it the wrong way around)  The load limiter is fitted into the Sergant panel that works with the Aide panel, but needs to be on a specific setting to let it work.  The technician demonstrated it working so relived!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook