Air awnings

Tiggey replied on 29/08/2020 18:05

Posted on 29/08/2020 18:05

We would like to purchase an air awning for our caravan (Eldis Chatsworth 636 2016 model). We have been comparing the Kampa Club Air All Season awning with the Suncamp Airvolution Icon Air and had all but decided to purchase the Kampa air awning.

However one last check reading the reviews has thrown a spanner in the works as the reviews we have read regarding Kampa are rather off-putting with regards to leaking roofs and exploding poles! The Suncamp appears to have more positive reviews.

We would welcome your opinions on the above two awnings and appreciate your guidance.

Tiggey

KeithL replied on 29/08/2020 19:40

Posted on 29/08/2020 19:40

No experience of the Suncamp I'm afraid but do have a Kampa Rally Pro which is brilliant.

Not had any problems with leaking roofs, apart from the normal drips from stitching first time out until it seals itself which is normal for all awnings. No exploding poles so far though I've seen, and heard, a few going on other makes.

Make sure the Suncamp can be filled from a single valve like the Kampa. Much easier than faffing about filling individual poles as seen on some makes of air awning.

EmilysDad replied on 29/08/2020 21:00

Posted on 29/08/2020 20:07 by Simon100

Have you looked at Vango? They have a good reputation.

Posted on 29/08/2020 21:00

aren't they multiple inflation points? If so ... I'd find that a PITA having to inflate umpteen bits of awning.

ggregu replied on 29/08/2020 23:40

Posted on 29/08/2020 23:40

Have a look at my post on page 2 of this thread!

Although mine isn’t an All Season (wasn’t available in 2017) I would still expect it to last longer than this.

Apart from the leaking issues I had 2 air poles burst last year and before anyone asks, they were blown up to the recommended pressure.

If I had the choice again, I wouldn’t buy Kampa.

richardandros replied on 30/08/2020 08:24

Posted on 30/08/2020 08:24

We have both a Kampa Air 390 Grande and a Sunncamp Air 390. This is our third Kampa awning and we have never had a problem with leaks. Both are quality awnings commensurate with their price. The Kampa was about £1000, whereas the Sunncamp was £350. You get what you pay for! Kampa much heavier than the lightweight SC but the Kampa is much more versatile in terms of opening panels etc. Sunncamp much easier to dry if it has to be packed away wet. 
If you over inflate any air awning there is a danger of the tubes going pop in hot weather- so stick to the recommended pressure and you will be OK.

The single inflation point is a bonus with the Kampa but in all honesty, it’s not a big issue having to also inflate the three roof poles on the SC - takes a few seconds with an electric pump.

Pays your money and takes your choice!

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 30/08/2020 09:03

Posted on 30/08/2020 08:24 by richardandros

We have both a Kampa Air 390 Grande and a Sunncamp Air 390. This is our third Kampa awning and we have never had a problem with leaks. Both are quality awnings commensurate with their price. The Kampa was about £1000, whereas the Sunncamp was £350. You get what you pay for! Kampa much heavier than the lightweight SC but the Kampa is much more versatile in terms of opening panels etc. Sunncamp much easier to dry if it has to be packed away wet. 
If you over inflate any air awning there is a danger of the tubes going pop in hot weather- so stick to the recommended pressure and you will be OK.

The single inflation point is a bonus with the Kampa but in all honesty, it’s not a big issue having to also inflate the three roof poles on the SC - takes a few seconds with an electric pump.

Pays your money and takes your choice!

Posted on 30/08/2020 09:03

+1, I find the more inflation points the less chance of the whole structure failing. With one inflation point a leak renders the lot unusable. With a battery inflator(Lidl) it’s a breeze👍🏻

jennyc replied on 30/08/2020 10:23

Posted on 30/08/2020 09:03 by Rocky 2 buckets

+1, I find the more inflation points the less chance of the whole structure failing. With one inflation point a leak renders the lot unusable. With a battery inflator(Lidl) it’s a breeze👍🏻

Posted on 30/08/2020 10:23

Kampa single inflation point air awnings aren’t rendered unusable if there’s a leak, because each tube can be isolated with valves at their ends.

EmilysDad replied on 30/08/2020 11:39

Posted on 30/08/2020 09:03 by Rocky 2 buckets

Posted on 30/08/2020 11:39

You've obviously never stepped foot inside a Kampa inflatable awning then .... the isolation valves at each end of the various tubes stare you in the face.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 30/08/2020 13:42

Posted on 30/08/2020 10:23 by jennyc

Kampa single inflation point air awnings aren’t rendered unusable if there’s a leak, because each tube can be isolated with valves at their ends.

Posted on 30/08/2020 13:42

Thankyou👍🏻. My experience has obviously come from the erect to the flaccid with one small puncture awnings.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook