Air Awnings

pterodactyl replied on 10/01/2020 17:28

Posted on 10/01/2020 17:28

My awnings in the past have had conventional frames and were a standard 240cm in depth. Because of the length of the twin axle and my age it is becoming difficult to put up our existing Dorema awning. I have been considering buying an inflatable awning, 390cm in length but 280cm deep. I would be interested in hearing from members their views on pros and cons of inflatable awnings and also whether they have faced any problems on Club Sites due to the additional 40cm in depth of the awning I am considering. 

EmilysDad replied on 10/01/2020 17:46

Posted on 10/01/2020 17:46

A draw back of an air awning is that they're heavy .... ie you're effectively sliding both the awning and poles into the awning strip at the same time.

JVB66 replied on 10/01/2020 19:53

Posted on 10/01/2020 19:53

If you are considering  a full awning on a twin axle I would check the weight I suggest it will be heavier than a standard awning to get through the awning rail,and some makes as noted on sites we have been on seem prone to exploding tubes in hot weather,

davetommo replied on 10/01/2020 20:25

Posted on 10/01/2020 20:25

The only advantage I can think of with an air awning is no poles to damage side of caravan. I have had both and find they both take the same length of time to erect. Personally I prefare poles but we all differ.

richardandros replied on 11/01/2020 07:42

Posted on 11/01/2020 07:42

We have an 8' wide van and a Kampa 390 Grande awning which is a full 3m deep and haven't had a problem on the Club sites we have been on - so far. That said, there are some sites where we wouldn't use it- such as Hawes - where the pitches are so small and everyone is crammed in - that I doubt it would work.

Even with the side panels removed, it is still very heavy to get on the awning rail but even though we are both either side of 70, we manage it. You also need to think about being able to dry it if it has to be packed away wet.  Ours is a big lump to spread out to dry and for this reason, we also have a Sunncamp Air 390 (for winter use) which being lightweight, is much more manageable. Mildew can very quickly seriously affect an awning.

We have been using air awnings for the last 6 years and I wouldn't contemplate going back to a poled version - mainly because in the very strong winds we have sometimes experienced, I know there is very little likelihood of damage to the van and as far as erecting it goes, it takes three minutes with an electric pump as compared to ? how long for a poled variety. Obviously, pegging it out takes the same time with either.

We have never experienced any of the tubes going 'pop' - in hot weather, just keep it inflated to a few psi under the recommended pressure and you will be OK.

Hakinbush replied on 11/01/2020 09:13

Posted on 11/01/2020 07:42 by richardandros

We have an 8' wide van and a Kampa 390 Grande awning which is a full 3m deep and haven't had a problem on the Club sites we have been on - so far. That said, there are some sites where we wouldn't use it- such as Hawes - where the pitches are so small and everyone is crammed in - that I doubt it would work.

Even with the side panels removed, it is still very heavy to get on the awning rail but even though we are both either side of 70, we manage it. You also need to think about being able to dry it if it has to be packed away wet.  Ours is a big lump to spread out to dry and for this reason, we also have a Sunncamp Air 390 (for winter use) which being lightweight, is much more manageable. Mildew can very quickly seriously affect an awning.

We have been using air awnings for the last 6 years and I wouldn't contemplate going back to a poled version - mainly because in the very strong winds we have sometimes experienced, I know there is very little likelihood of damage to the van and as far as erecting it goes, it takes three minutes with an electric pump as compared to ? how long for a poled variety. Obviously, pegging it out takes the same time with either.

We have never experienced any of the tubes going 'pop' - in hot weather, just keep it inflated to a few psi under the recommended pressure and you will be OK.

Posted on 11/01/2020 09:13

We've bought a Kampa 390 grande also, cant wait to try it out in march, have to agree with Rich its a bit on the lumpy side, but that's no problem I'll get Rosie to carry it..

Mr H replied on 11/01/2020 09:18

Posted on 11/01/2020 09:18

We have just bought a Kampa Club Air 390 and we are both in our late 70's so need things to be simple and light as possible. The club air has removable side and front panels which makes the connection to the awning rail easier due to be about 40% lighter. I opened up the awning rail at the front end at shoulder height and this makes feeding the awning in much easier than using the vertical access at near ground level. Next I made a strong line with a handle on one end and carabena on the other to connect to the awning end making it possible to pull it whilst standing on the ground. Then we bought a second bag to split the awning bits and pieces in to two, making it easier to carry and load in the car. Finally, very selfishly, I bought the Kampa Gale pump in the hope fellow campers would put up with the noise it makes as you only use it once. Hope this helps you make your decision, as I would never consider returning to solid pole awnings.

richardandros replied on 11/01/2020 11:28

Posted on 11/01/2020 09:13 by Hakinbush

We've bought a Kampa 390 grande also, cant wait to try it out in march, have to agree with Rich its a bit on the lumpy side, but that's no problem I'll get Rosie to carry it..

Posted on 11/01/2020 11:28

I'm sure you'll love it.  We had the standard Airpro 390 before that and was amazed at how much difference the extra half metre makes. I also like the fact that there are two options as to which part of the side door you use and it's much better not having one directly adjacent to the caravan door.

It really comes into its own in summer when you have the option to remove the side panels, roll back the front ones and just have, in effect, a sun canopy.  Enjoy!

pterodactyl replied on 13/01/2020 12:50

Posted on 13/01/2020 12:50

Thanks everyone for your help. I think it will be an air awning for me. Plenty to choose from. It always seems quite drastic getting rid of a perfectly good poled awning but no choice.

KeithL replied on 26/01/2020 11:50

Posted on 26/01/2020 11:50

Kampa do a pully to help thread the canvas into the awning rail if you find it a struggle. I've got a Rally Air Pro Extra which is a great awning but very heavy to thread into the rail.

KayB replied on 06/03/2020 17:38

Posted on 06/03/2020 17:38

Kampa Leggera Air 260 Awning.

Thinking of buying the NEW lightweight Kampa Leggera Air (Less than 8kg pull through weight).

I believe this is using a 150 denier material!! Is it watertight?

Anyone bought and used one?

I would appreciate comments.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook