Air Awning

knilly replied on 06/06/2017 19:12

Posted on 06/06/2017 19:12

looking to buy an air awning.Vango,Kampa or Bradcot etc so many makes.Any info about your experiences would be very helpful thinking about a 390 or 420 

PrestonDave replied on 07/06/2017 19:59

Posted on 07/06/2017 19:59

We looked for a air awning last year and finally got a Vango, mainly because all the blow up sections are separate,ok they all have to be blown up individually but they are also changeable individually in case of a puncture where some are a single inflation point for the whole system and so a puncture means scrapping the awning if it can't be repaired.

Apperley replied on 09/06/2017 18:34

Posted on 09/06/2017 18:34

We have the Vango Kela 2 (2015 model). Pros, well made, takes about 30 mins to put up (now after practice). Has a separate tunnel between the tent and the van - good for storing stuff like BBQ's etc. There are too ways of fastening the awning to the van side, the awning rail or throw over stars, we've used both and they work fine. (I've sewn on a middle throw over strap connector in the middle too providing a third strap.

Cons, extends some way out from the side so some pitches are too small.

My wife likes the look of the Kampa air model, but they are more money than the Vango, and then the curtains are extra. 

Milothedog replied on 09/06/2017 19:20

Posted on 09/06/2017 19:20

After seeing all the options on display at our local dealer we went with Bradcot. Best quality IMO. No extras to buy, it even came with the electric pump. I have had a couple of minor issues with it but a quick phone call to them and parts were in the post FOC .

Excellent customer servicesmile

jennyc replied on 16/06/2017 14:20

Posted on 07/06/2017 19:59 by PrestonDave

We looked for a air awning last year and finally got a Vango, mainly because all the blow up sections are separate,ok they all have to be blown up individually but they are also changeable individually in case of a puncture where some are a single inflation point for the whole system and so a puncture means scrapping the awning if it can't be repaired.

Posted on 16/06/2017 14:20

That's not quite accurate Dave. Kampa air awnings comprise of separate inflatable beams, separated by interconnecting valves which are normally left open, so that a leak can be isolated and that section removed after the adjacent valves are closed, so the whole awning is inflated/ deflated via a single valve. All of the inflatable bladders are inside heavy duty zip up sheaths which are stitched into the awning. Any of the bladders can therefore be removed and repaired or replaced eliminating a need to scrap the awning if it leaks. Out of interest, Kampa used to include a repair patch kit with their early awnings, but no longer do so because the incidence of leaks is so low.

IanTG replied on 16/06/2017 15:47

Posted on 16/06/2017 15:47

We have both a Kampa 390 and a 220 porch awning, both inflatable  Rally Pro. Love them. Also got electric pump, not that manually pumping up is too much of a chore, tho it takes a little longer on the 390. The elec pump just makes it a pleasure to pause and watch it inflate. Worth noting that although 12v, it does draw 10amps. Meaning I can only use from car, not caravan as the latter's 12v supply runs at 6amps.

both awnings have been wet and in wind with no problems, and I found it easy to dry out a wet awning in the back garden by pumping it up.

PrestonDave replied on 16/06/2017 19:49

Posted on 16/06/2017 14:20 by jennyc

That's not quite accurate Dave. Kampa air awnings comprise of separate inflatable beams, separated by interconnecting valves which are normally left open, so that a leak can be isolated and that section removed after the adjacent valves are closed, so the whole awning is inflated/ deflated via a single valve. All of the inflatable bladders are inside heavy duty zip up sheaths which are stitched into the awning. Any of the bladders can therefore be removed and repaired or replaced eliminating a need to scrap the awning if it leaks. Out of interest, Kampa used to include a repair patch kit with their early awnings, but no longer do so because the incidence of leaks is so low.

Posted on 16/06/2017 19:49

Hi Jenny,

I stand corrected but I was going off what I was told when I purchased  our air awning, maybe I heard wrong or or it was the idea of the interconnecting valves but we decided the Vango system seemed better. The only way to decide which is best is to see them all and decide for yourself. 

Corona replied on 17/06/2017 12:28

Posted on 17/06/2017 12:28

I had a Kampa awning with poles and it started leaking from the bead on the caravan rail, so we have just bought a new Kampa air 330. Just returned from a trip to Cornwall and we had quite a lot of rain to which it leaked through the beading area on the rail and running down the side of the van.  Very disappointed in this, but the instructions state that the awning needs to weather ie; get wet a couple of times to allow the stitching to swell and form a seal. I returned to my retailer who said straight away about the weathering. They also said that other customers have reported this but reassured they never returned and so assume the problem resolves it self.

Has anyone got any experiences on this. I think if there is an inherent problem by design you would expect the manufacturer to find a way to prevent this, perhaps fitting a sealer strip or something.

NevChap replied on 17/06/2017 13:21

Posted on 17/06/2017 13:21

We have a Kampa 400 and love it. It is heavy but easy to erect when you've threaded it through the awning channel. Easy to pump up as well even with hand pump. Only advice would be to check the weight as they seem to be much heavier as they are in effect both awning and 'poles'. Strong and stable (where have I heard this?) in wind.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook