Air Awning choice

Sandgroper replied on 05/07/2019 09:10

Posted on 05/07/2019 09:10

Hi, after a breezy fortnight in Scotland I am looking to convert to an air awning. They looked very stable and much easier to erect than wrestling with poles ( I am approaching 80 and one's strength seems to fade!).

I have a Bailey Olympus and have been looking their air awnings in comparison with Kampa. The Kampa roof line looks very stable whereas the Bailey version is a hoop shape. Does anyone have any experience which would rate one over the other? Or any helpful advice would be appreciated. Salesmen will tell you anything to get a sale!!!!  

JVB66 replied on 05/07/2019 09:19

Posted on 05/07/2019 09:19

I am in the same age range as you, and unless you are both quite fit,some air awnings are much heavier to get through the awning rail ,as you are also having to lift the weight of the air tubes

Sandgroper replied on 05/07/2019 09:25

Posted on 05/07/2019 09:25

Good point! I was also going to add that I would like the front windows to drop to a veranda height, replicating the poles that we have on the conventional awning.

MDD10 replied on 05/07/2019 09:33

Posted on 05/07/2019 09:33

I too am looking to convert, although the number of tubes bursting is putting me off.  What I have seen is a lot on sale second hand and the weight seems to be a factor, especially for our seniors.  

Perhaps you need to try offering to help someone erect one at a site and get a feel for how feasible it is for you?

I agree  that they seem much better in windy weather though 

replied on 05/07/2019 09:40

Posted on 05/07/2019 09:40

I have little experience of air awnings having never owned one. We no longer use an awning anyway. A couple of years ago I went to assist a couple on site who were having trouble pulling one through the rail. I got on the caravan steps and pulled it through whilst the other chap threaded the awning into the rail. The weight really would have put me off owning one. Good advice from MDD10.

JVB66 replied on 05/07/2019 11:37

Posted on 05/07/2019 11:37

If there is a dealer in your neck of the woods who sell air awnings  and has a display,maybe a trip to them and see what is involved by trying one  

richardandros replied on 05/07/2019 12:14

Posted on 05/07/2019 12:14

We have had two Kampa awnings over the last 5+ years and I rate them very highly.  Plus side - easy and quick to erect - especially with an electric pump which I would strongly recommend getting.  Very stable in bad weather - the worst we have experienced was 50mph gusts - and a very much reduced risk of damaging the van as compared with poles. I have found the Kampa to be well made and good value for money and an additional bonus is the single point of inflation. The new Kampa range has a double-angled roof which greatly improves headroom inside.  Sounds as if the Bailey doesn't have this feature.

Negatives - they are very heavy to get on the awning rail - even after removing the side panels as we do on the new 390 Grande.  I carry a set of aluminium steps in the van to help me since its important to be able to get a straight pull along the awning rail. They are also difficult to dry if you have to pack it away wet - a lot of space is needed and it's a big lump! As with all awnings made of impermeable fabric, condensation can be a problem and you have to learn to manage it.  A roof lining helps. Some people have experienced pooling on the roof but I have found that if the awning is pegged out properly and the guys tensioned adequately, it isn't a problem.

I wonder if you've thought about a lightweight air awning?  We also have a Sunncamp 390 which is very much lighter than the Kampa so much, much easier to get on the rail.  Not as big as the 390 Grande but still a good size.  Much cheaper but nevertheless, well made. It is also much easier to dry if packed away wet - which is the reason we bought it and therefore tend to use it in winter.

Sandgroper replied on 05/07/2019 13:02

Posted on 05/07/2019 13:02

Thanks for the 'heads-up'. I will certainly have a look at erected units. My interest was sparked off by a chap (white haired but unknown age) who erected his Kampa next door to us. He managed on his own but was meticulous in setting the floor neatly before pumping it up.

The Kampa blurb actually mentions the dual angle roof and hints at it overcoming possible puddling on the roof. A 390 is about the size we were looking for as we would be using it for our long-stay hols in France and the awning is the living area.

At the moment we have a large Isabella full length awning which is becoming a challenge for the lady of the house to hold. I am six foot and have never had a problem pulling the canvas through, but time tells a tale so a lightweight might be the way to go, provided it fills the other requirements.

Thanks again for the info.

richardandros replied on 05/07/2019 13:41

Posted on 05/07/2019 13:41

" A 390 is about the size we were looking for as we would be using it for our long-stay hols in France and the awning is the living area."

Have a look at the 390 Grande, then.  It's a full 3m deep as opposed to the normal 2.5m and it really makes a massive difference to the available space.  I couldn't believe how much more room the extra half metre gives.

I think the Sunncamp is 2.3m deep, so not as much room. 

Rufs replied on 05/07/2019 13:45

Posted on 05/07/2019 12:14 by richardandros

We have had two Kampa awnings over the last 5+ years and I rate them very highly.  Plus side - easy and quick to erect - especially with an electric pump which I would strongly recommend getting.  Very stable in bad weather - the worst we have experienced was 50mph gusts - and a very much reduced risk of damaging the van as compared with poles. I have found the Kampa to be well made and good value for money and an additional bonus is the single point of inflation. The new Kampa range has a double-angled roof which greatly improves headroom inside.  Sounds as if the Bailey doesn't have this feature.

Negatives - they are very heavy to get on the awning rail - even after removing the side panels as we do on the new 390 Grande.  I carry a set of aluminium steps in the van to help me since its important to be able to get a straight pull along the awning rail. They are also difficult to dry if you have to pack it away wet - a lot of space is needed and it's a big lump! As with all awnings made of impermeable fabric, condensation can be a problem and you have to learn to manage it.  A roof lining helps. Some people have experienced pooling on the roof but I have found that if the awning is pegged out properly and the guys tensioned adequately, it isn't a problem.

I wonder if you've thought about a lightweight air awning?  We also have a Sunncamp 390 which is very much lighter than the Kampa so much, much easier to get on the rail.  Not as big as the 390 Grande but still a good size.  Much cheaper but nevertheless, well made. It is also much easier to dry if packed away wet - which is the reason we bought it and therefore tend to use it in winter.

Posted on 05/07/2019 13:45

concur with all of this, for me weight is an issue, once in the bag it is a struggle to get it onto the back seat of the car, dog in boot, and the odd time when i have carried in the caravan it has been a case of stuff it in the door and shut the door. I use a bit of silcone on the awning rail which works for me, it is those wretched lights at awning rail level that cause the problem, getting the leg part of the awning over these needs care or you run the danger of pulling the light off. Been useing a Kampa 390 for 4/5 years now, as i said on another thread would not go back to poles. I think the 390 must be a good 20kgs+ in weight.

richardandros replied on 05/07/2019 14:25

Posted on 05/07/2019 14:25

"it is those wretched lights at awning rail level that cause the problem, getting the leg part of the awning over these needs care or you run the danger of pulling the light off."

Rufs - I know I'm stating the obvious (but it wasn't obvious to me to start with!) - have you tried pulling the awning through from the other end?

Our previous Bailey had the lights at the front - and I always fed the awning in from the front - and had the problem that you had - simply because "that's how you always did it!"

Then I realised, there was no reason why it couldn't go on from the back - thus avoiding pulling the legs over the light.

It's the reverse procedure on our new van since the lights are at the back.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook