Air awning

Pookie replied on 15/02/2018 18:48

Posted on 15/02/2018 18:48

I am thinking of buying an air awning for my Bailey Ranger 460/2 

Does anyone have any recommendations please? Likes / dislikes? 

What should I look out for?  Any problems you may of had with yours? How waterproof? Drafty? Are they very heavy to put up? 

I've heard they can suffer from a lot of condensation and this is one of the things that worries me.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Milothedog replied on 15/02/2018 19:21

Posted on 15/02/2018 18:48 by Pookie

I am thinking of buying an air awning for my Bailey Ranger 460/2 

Does anyone have any recommendations please? Likes / dislikes? 

What should I look out for?  Any problems you may of had with yours? How waterproof? Drafty? Are they very heavy to put up? 

I've heard they can suffer from a lot of condensation and this is one of the things that worries me.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Posted on 15/02/2018 19:21

Just upgraded from a Bradcot Air Aspire 260 to a 390-2. very pleased with the 260 not used the 390 yet.

I have had none of the problems you list. If you look on the Bradcot website they have some very good deals at the moment,cool

brightstar2 replied on 15/02/2018 21:43

Posted on 15/02/2018 21:43

I have a Kampa Air 200 ( 2 metre long porch awning)

Had it two seasons now and very pleased with it.

I think any air awning is going to be on the heavy side but we have overcome this by tying a spare guy rope on to the eyelet on the corner vent flap   - good lady feeds the awning into the front end of the roof rail and once started -I pull all the way  through- to best position over door,

This takes no time at all and can - if necessary be done by one person.

The hardest part as with any awning - is "nailing" the skirt down on hardstands.

I wouldn't go back to pole awnings and certainly haven' t experienced any of the rumours.

EmilysDad replied on 15/02/2018 22:45

Posted on 15/02/2018 22:45

We've struggled in high-ish winds with our Kampa Air Ace 400 (something like that) in keeping the blasted thing upright. We like it, it is on the heavy side when pulling it through the rail, but would think twice before we bough another.

richardandros replied on 16/02/2018 08:01

Posted on 16/02/2018 08:01

Condensation isn't limited to air awnings - any awning using a non-permeable fabric will suffer from it.  We have two awnings - a Kampa Air Pro 390 and a small Sunncamp 220 (2 pole awning) which we use when there is a likelihood of having to pack it when wet.  Both suffer from condensation but it's just a question of learning to manage it - mainly by leaving the tops of the doors open to get a good air flow through. Other than the small lightweight Sunncamp which has a fibreglass hoop and two poles, I wouldn't contemplate going back to a conventional pole awning.  The Kampa is erected in three minutes with an electric pump and we have had it out in 50mph winds with no problems whatsoever.

rjb replied on 16/02/2018 15:54

Posted on 16/02/2018 15:54

I have a vango varkala had it 4 years very good awning stable in wind/bad weather and it also has fine mesh vents over side doors to stop condensation quite heavy but manageable 

Oxfordeagle15 replied on 18/02/2018 19:37

Posted on 18/02/2018 19:37

I agree with all that has been said about condensation ... and a good airflow will reduce it to a minimum but probably not 100% unless you are in hotter climes.

In that respect - do remember that air expands when heated and I would recommend that you don't inflate your air tubes to the maximum stated by the manufacturer - it might blow otherwise, and usually on the plastic seam weld which becomes impossible to repair.

In hot sunshine destinations, I usually let out a little air from the tubes in the morning and if needs be - pump up again in the evening.  I learnt the hard way - losing a few tubes when we first had the awning, but using the above process works and only takes a few minutes, probably no more than checking the poles clamps on a standard awning.

Yes they can be heavy to pull through the awning rail but with one pulling and the other pushing so to speak - you will soon find what suits you best.  

I would also recommend buying storm poles if offered - they can make all the difference if you get a windy day.

Good Luck

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook