Will motorhome fit on my drive?

chewplop replied on 13/08/2018 19:50

Posted on 13/08/2018 19:50

Hi. I am thinking of buying a motorhome for the 1st time. Very anxious thou that might buy one and not actually be able to get it onto my drive!!!!

I was looking at Lunar Telstar which is about 

Width7'9" (2.36 M)

Length19'9" (6.02 M)

Height 9'1" (2.77 M)

Drive entrance is 12 ft wide so in theory I guess I should be able to squeeze it in but what about turning circle of road directly outside of property? Will there be enough room to swing it round? I measured road out front of house to be about 16ft wide.

Is there a computer algorithm somewhere which i can input dimensions into to give me some reassurance?

Scared stiff of manovering a motorhome and worse still finding i can't park it!!!!! Starting to think my dream of owning/driving a motorhome might be beyond my limited driving ability :-(

Maria

replied on 13/08/2018 20:10

Posted on 13/08/2018 20:10

There is a suitable program if you know somebody working in highway design - Autotrack

As an ex highway engineer 16' is usually a bit more at 58m. Also you often have a footway width to assist. 

Navigateur replied on 13/08/2018 20:18

Posted on 13/08/2018 20:18

Ask dealer for a test drive and give it a go.  A vehicle is more manoeuverable in reverse, so if stumped try backing it in.

Perhaps you have a friend or neighbour who is an HGV driver who could assist?

DavidKlyne replied on 13/08/2018 20:29

Posted on 13/08/2018 20:29

Maria

I had the simalar concerns when thinking about buying our Bailey Motorhome but this time getting it into our back garden. White Arches offered to bring it down to MK and reverse it into the garden which they did successfully, no choice but to sign the paperwork thensmile

At least your motorhome is reasonably compact which must go in its favour in terms of getting onto your parking area.

David

hitchglitch replied on 13/08/2018 21:53

Posted on 13/08/2018 21:53

The width of the road is quite a bit less than the length of the MH so you are going to be “cutting the corner” as you reverse into your drive. So it depends what you have at the end of your drive - hedges, wall, pillars or does it just open out onto a pavement.

If you are spending a lot of money the dealer may well be prepared to bring it to your house and try parking it which was a great suggestion above.

I towed a caravan for 30 years and the first time I collected our brand new motorhome I reversed it onto our drive and scraped the wall so take care and make sure you are confident before buying.

chewplop replied on 13/08/2018 22:22

Posted on 13/08/2018 22:22

Just out side the  drive there is a 4ft wide pavement before you get to the 16ft wide road. on other side I guess there is a grass bank which i guess is a couple of feet wide.

Drive consists of gate posts ether side attached to cotswold stone walls.

replied on 14/08/2018 07:48

Posted on 14/08/2018 07:48

I mentioned 'Autotrack' computer program earlier. As a highway design engineer before retirement I used the (expensive) program a lot to model many vehicles. Even using it to put in the particular specs for abnormal load vehicles and to model other vehicles. There are companies that will carry out such an analysis for £200 or less. Not only would that permit you to see if it would work it will enable you to see if any amendments might make it work.

The difficulty for many is reversing in with a long vehicle and so any analysis needs to be done both forwards and in reverse.  

Kennine replied on 14/08/2018 09:39

Posted on 14/08/2018 09:39

Never mind impractical Computer apps or other algorithm aids. . The only way you are going to find out if you personally can park your chosen Motor home in your drive is to try and do it.  

Ask to test drive the motor home and give it a try.  If at any stage you are uncertain, stop, and accept that your ideal of keeping a motorhome on your drive is a non starter. --But--If you can park it successfully and safely, then you can buy with confidence. 

cool

Randomcamper replied on 14/08/2018 09:46

Posted on 13/08/2018 22:22 by chewplop

Just out side the  drive there is a 4ft wide pavement before you get to the 16ft wide road. on other side I guess there is a grass bank which i guess is a couple of feet wide.

Posted on 14/08/2018 09:46

We chopped a tree down & dug up some bushes to widen our entrance sufficiently.  Could a builder move the gate posts a bit........?

The other thing to consider  is your neighbours if you have any....

One of ours consistently parks cars in the road opposite our drive and we have fallen out over it on occasions as it has caused accidents as we try to get off our drive.  You may want/need plenty of spare room if any vehicle is likely to be parked nearby....

chewplop replied on 14/08/2018 16:18

Posted on 14/08/2018 16:18

I have decided I will not be beaten. If push comes to shove I assume I could place it is storage nearby :-)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook