Which self levelling system?

Majorjo replied on 31/12/2021 12:47

Posted on 31/12/2021 12:47

We have a new Ford Chausson 640 and are looking to get an automatic self levelling system installed. I know that Club sites are level, but we use CLs more.

I'm looking at MA-EV, EPC which are both hydraulic and TESA which is elecromechanical.

Please does anyone have experience of any of these systems?

Many thanks

Joan

young thomas replied on 31/12/2021 17:19

Posted on 31/12/2021 17:19

A typical E&P system costs from £5k upwards and removes 40-60kg from your payload..std payload is only 470kg before extras, water, passenger etc.

yes, it's nice to have, but we use plenty of CLs and tour for 30 weeks a year and haven't had a problem with levelling up that a bit of savvy parking and a pair of simple levelling blocks could sort out.

£5k buys lots of fuel, loads of site nights, masses of ferry crossings, many (also useful) extras like lightweight batteries, decent stack of solar to let you roam anywhere, a good inverter to ensure your van runs just like on EHU when it isn't.

im not saying levelling systems aren't good, but sticking it on a 8-9m tag axle (that's hard to level by other means) might be just the job, but on a van of under 7m like the 640....I'd put the cash somewhere else.

just a personal opinion.... sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear.

richardandros replied on 01/01/2022 11:47

Posted on 01/01/2022 11:47

"I know that Club sites are level, but we use CLs more."

Hmmm - I thought that as well - until we arrived at Sandringham before Christmas and used our E&P system for the first time there. Got all these flashing lights on the handset and didn't know what was wrong until I twigged that perhaps the levelling was beyond the limits of the system.  Had to chock the nearside ram and ended up with the nearside wheels two inches clear of the ground to get it level. The chap on the pitch opposite us, had exactly the same problem!

If you'd asked me beforehand, I would have said that the pitch looked reasonably level.

My Compact caravan system was just over £2k which I justified because of mobility problems - but as BB says, the motorhome system is a different ball game.

cyberyacht replied on 01/01/2022 12:00

Posted on 01/01/2022 12:00

I'd wondered about a system but, as BB says, it gobbles up your payload. I decided the convenience wasn't worth £5K and 50-60Kg.

peedee replied on 01/01/2022 12:23

Posted on 01/01/2022 12:23

I had a >Gliderite< system fitted to my motorhome 7 years ago. It cost £3k and has performed faultlessly and has been worth every penny.  While pitches might be level motorhomes usually are not. they slope forward and while you can compensate by using a slope to level, it is not always possible and of course you might favour parking for the best view rather than for the best level. I no longer have to worry about the slope of a pitch and have used ones that you would struggle to level up just using ramps. I need no guidance to drive up blocks and love the convenience it has given me.

peedee

Graydjames replied on 01/01/2022 12:39

Posted on 01/01/2022 12:00 by cyberyacht

I'd wondered about a system but, as BB says, it gobbles up your payload. I decided the convenience wasn't worth £5K and 50-60Kg.

Posted on 01/01/2022 12:39

I completely agree with CY. I suppose if money was absolutely no object I might go for it (payload is not really an issue for me I think). I looked into it quite thoroughly a few years ago and I was looking at the best part of £5k then. I decided that it just wasn't worth it and I have never had any problem with not being level by just using blocks - and often I don't need them with this van. It hardly takes more than a few minutes work to use my blocks.

Mind you, I am not sure why the OP draws the conclusion that club sites are level. They are often not remotely level. I very rarely use CLs, but I wonder why CLs should be any more prone to unlevel pitches than anywhere else. If that's is generally true then it is another good reason to avoid them for me.        

Tinwheeler replied on 01/01/2022 12:52

Posted on 01/01/2022 12:52

Thinking about it, pitches will never be completely level as, if they were, there would be no run off for water. Generally, they slope slightly towards the roadway.

peedee replied on 01/01/2022 13:20

Posted on 01/01/2022 13:20

A couple of other advantages of leveling systems is it makes tyre inspection and wheel changing easier and is also an anti theft device once lowered to take the weight off the wheels. Less stress on the tyres as well.

peedee

cyberyacht replied on 02/01/2022 08:38

Posted on 02/01/2022 08:38

Lots of advantages but, as I have said, at a price and weight penalty probably involving a C1 licence for most.

peedee replied on 02/01/2022 09:50

Posted on 02/01/2022 09:50

Indeed CY think my Gliderite sytem weighed in at 80Kgms but I have plenty of payload available on the IVECO chassis.

peedee

young thomas replied on 02/01/2022 11:13

Posted on 02/01/2022 11:13

The thing is, many drivers are constrained by their license to 3500kg, and with MH getting larger, and with more kit, the pinch point is undoubtedly payload.

an average 7m 3.5t van (as with the OP) has well under 500kg...he has 470, before adding his OH, filling his tank and adding other extras...that's down to 300kg before any other kit/clothes/food/bedding etc is placed in the van...

many folk (whether they know it or not) just won't have the spare capacity to ditch 50+ kg on a levelling system....and remain legal.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook