Which Motorhome Cover

standleo replied on 27/07/2017 18:31

Posted on 27/07/2017 18:31

Could you recommend a motorhome cover please. There are many to choose from so I am hoping other members have some good advice based on experience.

Thornsett replied on 28/07/2017 10:33

Posted on 28/07/2017 10:33

Hello Standleo.

There is a question whether such a cover is to protect the van against adverse weather, pollution, UV light, sea salt spray or just to keep the bird muck off the roof. Also, some covers are for the top part of the van only. As a minimum I would suggest a breathable one that can be put up so that it does not rub against the van in the wind. The more protection you want, the greater the price and the more likely Pro-Tec is the answer.

Motorhomes should be used all the year round if only to keep the oily bits from going rusty and seizing up and tyre walls cracking. This would involve a good run at least every month. Just turning over the engine on the drive will clog up any DPF [filter] fitted. Apologies if you knew. The need to use the motorhome means that any cover has to be easy to put on and take off in the bad weather.

My recommendation is not to bother unless you have unusual circumstances. Most motorhomers don't seem to bother.

Tinwheeler replied on 28/07/2017 10:58

Posted on 28/07/2017 10:58

I agree with Aspenshaw. We don't cover ours but keep it moving all year even if we're not staying in it. 

It's a motor vehicle and needs to keep rolling. 

InaD replied on 28/07/2017 22:01

Posted on 28/07/2017 22:01

Agree with both the above, we use ours all year round.  Have never even considered a cover.  Having a motorhome standing without moving doesn't do it any good, as Aspenshaw says, it's the oily bits and tyres which will suffer if left standing for months.

You may have your own reasons to need a cover, in which case I can't give advice, but I'm sure someone will be along to give advice.  But if at all possible do use it in winter as well as summer; winter has it's own appeal and it's very cosy inside a warm motorhome, after a nice walk or a trip into a nearby town.

Randomcamper replied on 31/07/2017 17:02

Posted on 31/07/2017 17:02

We use a simple relatively inexpensive Maypole cover, which cost around £120......

It's breathable but protects the van from the worst of the weather, from UV degradation, bird dirt, tree sap and prying eyes.....

We cover the van when not in use, although I do try to use it every three weeks or so through the summer and perhaps monthly in the winter, the comments above are correct about vans (and any motor vehicle really) needing regular use....

If you get the right technique and perhaps a bit of help, it's a 10 minute job to put the cover on or off....

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook