What do you pay for Service and MOTT ?

KeithandMargaret replied on 20/06/2018 10:26

Posted on 20/06/2018 10:26

I've just had an MOTT and Service on my Fiat Ducato based Motorhome - around five years old and 28,000 miles on the clock

£40 for the MOTT.

Parts (Oil, Fuel, Air and Pollen filters) and Engine oil came to £118.

Labour £120

Total of £278.

Do you pay more, or less, for a Service and MOTT ?

DavidKlyne replied on 20/06/2018 20:46

Posted on 20/06/2018 20:46

Paid £517 for my last Hab and Cab service plus MOT in March. All done in one place at the dealers except they take the van to the MOT Testing Station. Also had a loan car for four days included in the price.

David

hitchglitch replied on 20/06/2018 21:39

Posted on 20/06/2018 10:26 by KeithandMargaret

I've just had an MOTT and Service on my Fiat Ducato based Motorhome - around five years old and 28,000 miles on the clock

£40 for the MOTT.

Parts (Oil, Fuel, Air and Pollen filters) and Engine oil came to £118.

Labour £120

Total of £278.

Do you pay more, or less, for a Service and MOTT ?

Posted on 20/06/2018 21:39

Seems reasonable to me based on quotes I have had. One Peugeot dealer wanted £500 plus just for a service although this was in London.  If it is still in warranty you can get a manufacturer’s service using genuine parts but once out of warranty you can go anywhere. I think I was quoted about the same as you paid after phoning around. I thought MoT was a fixed price?

huskydog replied on 20/06/2018 21:44

Posted on 20/06/2018 21:39 by hitchglitch

Seems reasonable to me based on quotes I have had. One Peugeot dealer wanted £500 plus just for a service although this was in London.  If it is still in warranty you can get a manufacturer’s service using genuine parts but once out of warranty you can go anywhere. I think I was quoted about the same as you paid after phoning around. I thought MoT was a fixed price?

Posted on 20/06/2018 21:44

No , the maximum a garage can charge is £54.85 ,but they can discount it as much as they like 

EmilysDad replied on 20/06/2018 21:59

Posted on 20/06/2018 21:39 by hitchglitch

Posted on 20/06/2018 21:59

You can go anywhere you like even with a brand new vehicle as long as OE parts are used ..... it just might become a problem if there are subsequent faults that you might want sorting under good will.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-car-warranty-servicing/

DavidKlyne replied on 21/06/2018 00:21

Posted on 20/06/2018 21:59 by EmilysDad

You can go anywhere you like even with a brand new vehicle as long as OE parts are used ..... it just might become a problem if there are subsequent faults that you might want sorting under good will.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-car-warranty-servicing/

Posted on 21/06/2018 00:21

That is relatively straight forward for a car but often more difficult with a larger motorhome simply because of finding a garage able to deal with the size of vehicle. My local Peugeot dealer couldn't service my motorhome and I am not altogether sure I could actually get it into their premises, it was bad enough when I had a Peugeot car!!! I would have to travel so for that reason I find it easier to be looked after by the dealer I purchased it from. Apparently they do have a Peugeot dealer nearby that can do warranty work. Some parts of the country are better provided with independent garages who can work on motorhomes.

David

Grumblewagon replied on 21/06/2018 15:22

Posted on 21/06/2018 15:22

Ah, I've seen this on another site too. 

The most I paid for a service was £277.  This was when I had recently bought the van and was getting ready for our first European trip in it.  I asked for it to be given a thorough service to make sure everything was good to go.  So they did a scheduled service for the mileage, cleaned and checked the brakes, checked engine, exhaust etc..   The bulk of the cost was labour.

It's only a local village garage (about a dozen staff), but can do servicing and MoT on anything from a small motorbike to a large RV.  I've seen cars from a Trabant to a Rolls Royce in there.  Not the cheapest place, the the quality of work is first class.

Fisherman replied on 21/06/2018 15:34

Posted on 21/06/2018 15:34

Just had service, including oil change and MOT at Ford Agent for just over £200.

Thornsett replied on 21/06/2018 18:56

Posted on 21/06/2018 18:56

My five year old, 31,000 mile Fiat will be having the cambelt and ancillary belts changed and possibly the water pump when it goes in for its service - due next month. Main dealer will charge close to £900 for this, the local garage just over £450.

It will also have an oil change as it is two years since the last one [I had the first two at 18 month intervals] and the brake fluid replaced - probably should have been done at 4 years but the dealer said it would last another year at least. Brake test and fluid will be £120 at Fiat dealer.

Oil change and check c£190 from a Fiat Dealer including the Selena oil will keep me going for 2 years whereas the local garage insist on an annual Mobil oil change at £120 so is actually more expensive than a Fiat dealer.

MOT will be what it will be.

Add in two new front tyres and its going to be an expensive year. 

Randomcamper replied on 21/06/2018 19:08

Posted on 21/06/2018 19:08

Oil change and check c£190 from a Fiat Dealer including the Selena oil will keep me going for 2 years whereas the local garage insist on an annual Mobil oil change at £120 so is actually more expensive than a Fiat dealer.

That's because your local garage, quite possibly staffed by someone who actually knows what they are talking about, is giving you good advice.

But if you don't want to pay for an annual oil change you could still let your local garage put the Mobil oil in (is it Mobil 1  ?) and leave it for two years. I will bet the Mobil is better than Fiat Selenia oil....!

Your local garage is aware that 2 year oil change intervals, especially on turbo diesel engines is a marketing gimmick.

But I happily accept that we all pays our money & takes our choices...undecided

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook