Weight of gas cylinders

GoonieChris replied on 24/07/2018 19:45

Posted on 24/07/2018 19:45

I'm wondering what everyone does in relation to knowing when they are about to run out of gas? Other than having a contents gauge fitted, can anyone make suggestions as to how to avoid being caught out? I do have a spare but if there is a reliable way of knowing how much/little gas is left, I'd like to know!

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

replied on 24/07/2018 19:52

Posted on 24/07/2018 19:52

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

EmilysDad replied on 24/07/2018 20:28

Posted on 24/07/2018 20:28

If you always carry a spare cylinder it doesn't matter if you run a cylinder to empty .... it takes a minute or two to swap over cylinders 

JollyKernow replied on 24/07/2018 20:51

Posted on 24/07/2018 20:51

Hi,

If it's any use to you, an empty 6kg lite cylinder weighs 5kg. take a cheap set of bathroom scales with you and weigh the bottle now and again?

JK

mickysf replied on 24/07/2018 21:00

Posted on 24/07/2018 21:00

If you have two cylinders just remember to purchase a refill for the one that runs out as immediately as possible. Never fails us.

hitchglitch replied on 24/07/2018 22:00

Posted on 24/07/2018 22:00

Gas Light (BP Gas) has a transparent cylinder so you can see the level. It is also lighter, has great carry handles and uses a clip-on regulator (like Patio Gas). Far superior to Calor in every way.

Unfortunately it is mostly available at Homebase whose future is uncertain.

In practice, most people get to know how much gas they use and as you have two cylinders there is no problem anyway.

If you are going overseas you will not be able to exchange your cylinder so it is essential to know what you use and plan accordingly (unless you have refillable cylinders).

I don’t believe that gauges are very reliable. 

TomL replied on 24/07/2018 23:20

Posted on 24/07/2018 23:20

For many years, I've used a simple angler's weighing scale, a spring balance, which I bought from a local angling centre. It came packaged in a box measuring only 250mmx40mmx40mm and has a hook at one end (to hook the "catch", or in this case the handle of the gas cylinder) and a small horizontal bar at the other end with which to hold the instrument.The scale allows measurements in pounds up to 50 pounds (for the big one that didn't get away!) It's stored away in the front locker with the gas cylinders.

DavidKlyne replied on 25/07/2018 00:00

Posted on 25/07/2018 00:00

I have a Gaslow gauge fitted. It connects both cylinders but I tend only to turn one cylinder on at a time.  It is a pretty reliable way of letting you know when gas is getting low. 

David

Boff replied on 25/07/2018 06:56

Posted on 25/07/2018 06:56

I would endorse [Deleted User User]’s suggestion of an autochange over.  Excellent piece of kit I won’t leave home without one. 

Carlor lite bottles also have the empty (tare) weight on the band at the bottom.  This is in Kg unlike the disk at the top that gives it in pounds. 

I have an electronic luggage scale.   Cost about £5 look on Amazon or home bargains

If you are using a lot of gas then look for the layer of condensation / ice on the bottle.  The top of it indicates the gas level.

Mainly I don’t check I just know from experience, how long a bottle is going to last, but that is because going off ehu we use lots of gas so no way my 6kg bottle is going to last me a season. 

Thornsett replied on 26/07/2018 09:19

Posted on 26/07/2018 09:19

I'm not aware there is a reliable way of knowing when the gas is about to run out. There are products on the market that claim to do this but I've yet to be convinced.

My wife says the smell of burning gas and the strength of the flame is an indication.

All said, knowing the gas is going to run out is not something I think about. I just change the cylinder when it does.

Kontikiboy replied on 29/07/2018 13:22

Posted on 29/07/2018 13:22

I use Calor-Lite and carry two cylinders and they have a rough guide gauge on the top fitting.   The main reason I have two is so I never waste any gas.   When I first started Caravaning and was going abroad I would buy a refill cylinder, but often wasted up to a quarter of the gas in the old cylinder, just to be safe.   I also have the Gaslow auto-changeover and it works for me.      I also have a CEPSA cylinder for when I am in Spain, where gas is very cheap; 11kg for €16.5.

BillC

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook