Weather proofing

ronald gordon replied on 27/09/2019 15:51

Posted on 27/09/2019 15:51

We have a Mercedes Autosleeper Gloucester which we bought in March.

It's going to have to spend the winter outdoors: does anyone have tips on minimising the effects of the weather?  Is there a product we can apply that would help protect it from the worst of the weather?

We are unable to use a cover as it double up as a reflexology treatment room.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/09/2019 16:04

Posted on 27/09/2019 16:04

What do you do with a car in winter? Treat your MH the same way, is my advice.

I’d never put a cover on it but, being a motor vehicle, it will benefit from being kept in use to keep the mechanical bits moving. That doesn’t mean staying in it or using it on a daily basis but just doing a few miles every week or two.

EmilysDad replied on 27/09/2019 16:31

Posted on 27/09/2019 16:31

A 'few miles' isn't enough IMHO ... you need to get the vehicle to full working temperature to clear condensation in sumps, rocker/cam covers & exhausts. Condensation in rocker/cam covers can produce what looks like & is often referred to as mayonnaise on the oil filler cap & is symptomatic of a car that nips to the shops around the corner once a week.

I'd connect a 'smart' battery charger such as a Ctek to the vehicle battery, assuming it's parked within reach of the mains, & leave it connected. Likewise the leisure battery, though that could be removed & brought inside.

JVB66 replied on 27/09/2019 16:48

Posted on 27/09/2019 16:48

I agree best way to keep it from getting "old" quickly is to keep useing it and will also keep your  "reflexes" up to scratchcool

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook