We have a drip ! Auto Trail 2013

Youngbunch replied on 30/10/2016 13:59

Posted on 30/10/2016 13:59

We have just returned from a couple of nights away with the following happening.

Water heater on and set at 50 with the taps run until constant stream. When taps shut the pump continues for couple of seconds that I understand to be normal operation And been doing it this way for last 5 months

However, At the rear of the motorhome there is  ow an external constant drip of hot water coming from what looks like an overflow beneath the water heater. Then every 15-30 minutes the water pump starts for a few seconds that I guess is to top up the water heater tank due to the water drip. Never had this on previous trips. It also occurs throughout the night which is how it was noticed on the 1st night. Short term fix is to switch power off to taps.

Also, we tried it without heating the water (only switch taps on) and the same dripping/water pump starting for short period occurs.

It may be that we are still novices to this however, I'd appreciate any feedback/guidance/suggestion from all you experienced people.

we are planning on another couple of nights away next weekend so can try then

EJB986 replied on 30/10/2016 14:26

Posted on 30/10/2016 14:26

There is probably a hot water drain pipe and a hot water pressure release pipe.

Your pump is flashing on to bring the pressure back up to normal due to the leak (drip).

If the drain is dripping...renew the drain tap.

If the pressure release valve is dripping you may need to replace that.

On my much older Tracker I replaced the drain tap over a year ago and it still has a very slow drip (possibly caused by a slightly higher pressure new pump).....If the pump gets on my nerves (flashes every 5 or 10 minutes for 1 second or so) I simply switch it of.

replied on 30/10/2016 17:20

Posted on 30/10/2016 17:20

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

QFour replied on 30/10/2016 17:24

Posted on 30/10/2016 17:24

You could also check the Frost Stat if it has one. Idea being that when it gets really cold it dumps the water out of the water heater. As has already been said. Don't leave it. It needs fixing.

Youngbunch replied on 30/10/2016 17:34

Posted on 30/10/2016 17:34

thanks for the feedback. It does not have a frost stat and the temperature over the weekend was probably 5 degrees lowest. I've dropped email to dealer we purchased from and will see there response. Really want it fixed as we are off to Strasbourg on Boxing Day. Will keep you posted on resolution. 

young thomas replied on 30/10/2016 17:37

Posted on 30/10/2016 17:37

hot water drain valves can leak (drip, drip) due to the washer becoming a bit hard, also they can 'rock up', and not seat properly, from use in hard water areas.

a quick dismantle (once system drained) and clean might do the job....

as DD says, also check out other areas in the van as just a small leak can easily build into something larger and much more difficult to eradicate...

good luck.

Youngbunch replied on 05/12/2016 20:34

Posted on 05/12/2016 20:34

drip has gone ! Emptied fresh water tank and drained system. Re-filled and restarted the system. The drip has not returned ! Thanks for all the feedback, it's in for a service February so will get it checked out.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook