Water pump woes

peedee replied on 29/10/2020 16:19

Posted on 29/10/2020 16:19

My water system of late always seems to pump a lot of air with the water when any of the taps are in use. I cannot find any sign of leaks. Any ideas how this air is getting into the system? As there are no signs of leaks, I find it difficult to believe it could be loose pipe joints.

peedee

Kerry Watkins replied on 29/10/2020 16:29

Posted on 29/10/2020 16:29

Have you checked the two 'o' rings on the  inlet where you connect the external water pump? If these are worn they can allow air into the system

TJ49 replied on 29/10/2020 20:21

Posted on 29/10/2020 20:21

Is the air in the pipe when you turn the tap on, does the water run ok after a while ?

Is there a non-return valve in the system that lets the water run back into the tank ? but would the pressure switch the kick in ?

If the pump shuts off when the tap is shut is the air getting in between the tank and the pump ?

Just a few rambling thoughts !

peedee replied on 30/10/2020 06:44

Posted on 30/10/2020 06:44

Thanks TJ, got me thinking a bit more. I like the idea it might be a none return valve problem. Looks like this is integral to the pump, perhpas I need to replace the pump. it has been in use for 9 years?

peedee

ForestR replied on 30/10/2020 09:06

Posted on 30/10/2020 09:06

Similar problem with our caravan two years ago when air entering water system made it impossible to use. Changed O rings on Truma pistol connector, changed filter/strainer and in desperation on board Flojet pump to no avail. Checked all pipe joints and eventually found hairline crack on inlet connection on outside of caravan. New connection fitted and no problem since.

No inboard tank on caravan just connections to Aqua roll. Unlikely therefore that you have same problem but illustrates how small a leak it takes to allow air to be pulled into system. I needed a magnifying glass to see the crack clearly.

JollyKernow replied on 30/10/2020 09:50

Posted on 30/10/2020 09:50

Morning

I had a shurflo pump when I had the chieftain. I had similar trouble with air being pulled in, took an age to find the leak which was the tiniest hairline crack in the filter housing just before the pump. It didn't leak water at all and only let air in when under pressure with a tap running. A slither of gorilla glue did the job. Funny, I still have a spare pump that I bought thinking the worst!!

JK

Freedom a whitebox replied on 30/10/2020 12:43

Posted on 30/10/2020 12:43

The only help I can offer is that you will find the problem is on the suction (inlet) side of the pump. Either a poor joint or a fracture in the pipework.

peedee replied on 31/10/2020 06:58

Posted on 31/10/2020 06:58

Thanks for the advice, I have taken the precaution of ordering a new pump. If i have to take the furniture appart to get at the pipework I might as well change the pump and keep the old one as spare. If it proves to be the pump I can always consider replacing the seals. A spare working pump can be a good thing to have.

peedee

JollyKernow replied on 31/10/2020 09:43

Posted on 31/10/2020 09:43

Morning

I've carried that spare pump now for nine years pd! It was expensive back then but worth it for peace of mind. It was about a 40 minute job to get the pump out and on the bench. 

JK

ForestR replied on 31/10/2020 10:34

Posted on 31/10/2020 10:34

Guess what spare pump in box sitting next to working pump under front bunk for last two years. Spare O rings and filter in tool box.

Hope the new pump solves your problem PD I know how frustrating it can be.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook