VW Campervan conversion - potential Towcar

CaravanRamblings replied on 18/11/2021 14:55

Posted on 18/11/2021 14:55

We have been toying with the idea of swapping our Kia Sorento for a VW Campervan conversion and towing our Sterling Eccles with it.

Our thought process is... The VW Transporter has a great reputation and should make an excellent Towcar.

On long winter trips to the continent, we would leave the caravan on a site and have mini expeditions in the Campervan, both wildcamping and at other sites in the region.

We feel it would offer us alternatives to staying in Travelodges and Premier Inns for short breaks in the UK.

Our van is being serviced this week at Swindon Caravans and so we found a local Campervan hire company and have rented their "Colwyn" for the week. I'm posting a bunch of updates from the trip at https://www.caravanramblings.co.uk/?cat=82.

If you're interested, take a look and fire away with any questions on this thread...

wellum1959 replied on 19/11/2021 00:26

Posted on 19/11/2021 00:26

This is what my parents did about 20 years ago, they had an Autosleeper campervan based on a VW T? pulling a Bailey Senator caravan. They went full time for around 3 years touring UK, France and Spain etc, before settling down in French bricks and mortor and eventually giving up touring.

Mike

young thomas replied on 19/11/2021 09:19

Posted on 19/11/2021 09:19

Our pals have this set up (although I think they might still have the old tow car) but the VW is a great way to manage shorter breaks, becoming more of an impromptu tourer than where the caravan has to be factored in...but they side works well with the longer term stays, perhaps overwintering...

One suggestion, to get best use from a VW, I would definitely ensure I got one with a loo...showers are a bit rarer at this level...but if you're having to find toilet stops this will kill the spontaneity of a go anywhere camper..

some campers at a CL earlier this year had a large drive away awning, gave them loads of room and the warmth of the van to sleep in...no toilet I recall which limited their choice of stays to 'with facs'....ok for sites but less 'convenient' if just out for the day...

good luck..

ps...if you like it you might end up using the caravan less and less....other for those long trips...

Takethedogalong replied on 21/11/2021 10:03

Posted on 21/11/2021 10:03

You do see quite a few VW campers towing vans. Ours is capable, but we have never done it, as it’s got all we need on board. Seems a good idea to us, you get a perfect vehicle for days and the odd night out, but more space if you base somewhere. If you did this on Club Sites, you would need to only sleep in one outfit, otherwise Club would want you to use two pitches I think. You cannot use two outfits on one pitch.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook