Using motorhome with out hook up

Heethers replied on 03/06/2020 09:17

Posted on 03/06/2020 09:17

Hi we are having fitted a 150 watt solar panel, would this keep the leisure battery charged enough to use the wife's hair dryer and the television plus the led lights or would we have to use the motorhome to charge the batteries via its own generator, l believe we would need an inverter, what wattage would l need, l have seen them from £130 to £225 depending on wattage. Would you go for just 2 plug points wired in or all the 240v system. We would probably just be off grid for more than one or two days some advice would be greatly appreciated

MichaelT replied on 03/06/2020 09:44

Posted on 03/06/2020 09:44

SP is only one thing what type/size batteries do you have is also important i.e. 1* 85ah battery may struggle.

We have 2 * 95ah batteries and a 2kw inverter wired to the internal  sockets activated via a switch to switch between inverter or mains.  Wife has a travel hairdryer (900W) and we use a Nespresso machine (1600W max draw) also charge ebike battery and vacuum.  In good weather the 150W SP will top this up easily in good sun or when we drive between sites.  The batteries go down to about 60-70% when Mrs T uses  dryer but the coffee machine barely touches it as once heated there is not much draw.

Some folks like BB have just got a trailing lead from the inverter socket to use around the van which would also work as in reality you do not use the inverter all the time unless you re powering say a sky box like BB for evening entertainment.

peedee replied on 03/06/2020 09:46

Posted on 03/06/2020 09:46

Forget the hairdryer, use only 12volt applicances, then you won't need an inverter and a 150watt panel will keep you going for weeks.

peedee

SRowe replied on 18/06/2020 18:20

Posted on 18/06/2020 18:20

Hi

I've just installed a 110w slimline solar panel kit from Sunstore for about £300....all connections, wires, charger etc is included and they reckon that would power leisure battery for our 6 berth Roller Team motorhome for led lights, water pump, mobile/laptop chargers, TV and internal WiFi.

Gas for heating, water heater, cooking and they reckon it would cover us for about 5 to 7 days depending on usage. 

You can get an inverter for the normal hairdryer but I wouldnt bother due to cost and potential for tripping!

Wild Roamer replied on 24/06/2020 19:24

Posted on 24/06/2020 19:24

Hi,

We lived off grid in a narrowboat for 4 years and the recipe for electrical survival off grid is reasonably straightforward

1. Where electricity is needed utilise a 12 volt supply where possible, an inverter when switched on will consume some power even if it not supplying power to anything. It is possible to buy 12 volt hair dryers and the like.

2. Convert all 12volt lights to LED - they use much less power than halogen or other filaments.

3. Plan your journeys to ensure engine run times are long enough to fully re-charge your leisure batteries.

4. Fit a solar panel array - the limit here is usually available roof space so choose panels of optimum output for the space available and use an MPPT controller to charge the battery. Remember that solar panels work best in full summer sunshine, cloudy days will reduce the solar yield and parking under trees will defeat your solar panel.

5. Monitor your power usage in terms of Amp Hours consumed so that you can make proper calculations of your touring power requirement and remember a 95 Ah capacity battery will not give you 95 Ah before requiring recharging. Recharge your batteries well before they are completely flat, a voltage reading of 12.2 volts from a battery not under load is indicative that recharging is required. All leisure batteries have a cyclical life so buy batteries that will deliver the cycles you need. 

Happy Touring

peedee replied on 25/06/2020 06:50

Posted on 25/06/2020 06:50

5. Monitor your power usage in terms of Amp Hours consumed so that you can make proper calculations of your touring power requirement

>This< might help and there is a long thread about living off grid >here<.

peedee

Heethers replied on 03/07/2020 08:49

Posted on 03/07/2020 08:49

Hi in the end we went for the 120 watt panel due to the fact we would be mainly using hook up, only on the odd occasion would we be off grid. Since being fitted last Friday even in this dull weather its kept both batteries fully charged, obviously with no power being drawn. Phil at Rhino Installs explained, if you wanted off grid you can't have enough solar which would have meant having larger panels fitted, because we had a Maxfan fitted along with a Midi Heike and a Maxview dome fitted, space was at a premium. In the end we discussed with Phil how much off grid we would be doing and came to the conclusion. that we would not need any more solar Thank you for all your advice greatly appreciated, one thing l must mention is the superb service l got at Rhino installs, Phil and his wife run a superb business and l must congratulate him on all the work he did for me truly, professional.

SeasideBill replied on 03/07/2020 16:52

Posted on 03/07/2020 16:52

Plenty of good advice on here. I ignore my wife’s hair drying needs at my peril - she’s never found a 12v hairdryer that passes muster. If not using EHU the problem is generally solved with a 240v socket in the shower block. Same applies for 6amp EHU as frequently found in places like deepest France. I use a 150w panel which has proved more than adequate and using a split charge controller maintains the leisure and vehicle battery during any winter layups. In my experience a battery permanently connected to an ‘intelligent’ trickle charger last heaps longer than batteries that are subject to regular discharge. I’ve had batteries on classic cars last for 15 years if connected when not in use.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook