UK MH insurance for overseas residents

SimonG26 replied on 02/06/2023 10:09

Posted on 02/06/2023 10:09

Hi everyone. Our situation must be known if not common. Our son keeps a motorhome in the UK as registered keeper & insurance policyholder. We live in NZ and visit the UK for 2-4 months in summer. Up till Covid shut-outs he just added us as named drivers. Last renewal he tried the same thing and was told he could not get cover for us as we're not UK residents. That we lived in UK until 2015 and return regularly cut no ice. We took an additional policy last summer (at an exorbitant price) from the only provider we could find (through Adrian Flux). Last year we checked with Camping & Caravanning Club & Caravan & Motorhome Club if they could help; CMC said 'yes' then but have just told us no this year. Any advice welcome...

Tinwheeler replied on 02/06/2023 10:23

Posted on 02/06/2023 10:23

You are going to struggle because a) you don’t own the MH you wish to insure and only the owner/keeper can usually insure it, plus b) the MH is already insured and you cannot normally have two policies for the same vehicle.

I’m sorry I can’t offer anything constructive but there are a couple of similar threads here concerning insurance for NZ people.

eurortraveller replied on 02/06/2023 12:51

Posted on 02/06/2023 12:51

I can’t help either - other than suggest your son tries as widely as possibly to  find an alternative insurer that might possibly allow him to add you as named driver - and that will mean him making a lot of phone calls. 

Bakers2 replied on 03/06/2023 07:24

Posted on 03/06/2023 07:24

Not much help but could you transfer ownership/keeper to yourselves c/o your sons address and insure yourself?

We bought a car when visiting our daughter in NZ for 6 months and got insurance via NZ AA. Of course vehicles don't/didn’t have to insurance so might be different. Again she puts us on her car insurance if we're not hiring for ourselves. We often hire campervan/car to explore independently. 

Its not the proper solution but a work around which seems bizarre and may not be legal. Out of interest can he add you to his car insurance? Meaning its tge vehicle type rather than address?

I agree with eurortaveller hours on the phone. I hope you can resolve.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook