Tyre Pressures

DavidKlyne replied on 28/11/2016 20:23

Posted on 28/11/2016 20:23

I have Tyrepal sensors on my motorhome wheels which work quite well. What I have noticed is that after the warmth of summer the pressure have fallen a bit. Front 55 to 51 psi and the rear 80 to 75 psi. Just wondered what the collective wisdom is about leaving them as they are, after all less than 10% below normal so should I inflate or are they safe to leave at the lower rating. I know some people reduce the rear setting anyway but not heard that about the front. We are going to Chatsworth next week for 3 days so we will be travelling fairly light. Whilst the sensors are excellent at giving you information they are a right pain to adjust pressures but obviously safety comes first.

David

replied on 28/11/2016 20:45

Posted on 28/11/2016 20:45

I adjust my car and carravan tyres before the start of each tour session. So 4 times a year (also check the non tow car tyres at the same time)

young thomas replied on 28/11/2016 20:48

Posted on 28/11/2016 20:48

David, does anyone on CT run the rear pressures at 80psi other than White Van Man...?

neither of the two major camper tyre manufacturers (Pirelli or Michelin) recommend this level when been supplied with 'normal' range axle weights....

all you need to do is consult their charts (googlable) and the appropriate pressures are available.

the 80psi figure is the default limit set for fully (over) loaded white vans...

what are your axle weights?

i run at 55 front, 65 rear.

Apperley replied on 28/11/2016 21:17

Posted on 28/11/2016 21:17

Hi David, I do not adjust my tyres to take account of seasonal changes, I'd be interested to hear what others say. I do agree with BoleroBoy though on pressures, I run my Bailey 745 on 55 front, 65 rear. I confirmed these pressures in the Alko chassis manual. The quality of the ride is much improved.

peedee replied on 29/11/2016 09:14

Posted on 29/11/2016 09:14

I also run my tyres according to the handbook weight chart after weighing the motorhome in a fully loaded state at my local weigh bridge, 55psi front 65psi rear. I do adjust for seasonal changes which may not be very wide in the UK but if you travel abroad the difference can be significant. Nevertheless it would be interesting to know the tolerances tyre manufacturers allow from their recommendations.

peedee

JimE replied on 29/11/2016 10:24

Posted on 29/11/2016 10:24

Last January when I was travelling to Spain, the overnight temperature in central France was well below zero.  When I started the MH one morning the Tyrepal alarm went off, much to my consternation.

I did a quick visual inspection and all seemed okay, so I set off cautiously with the alarm bleeping.  Fortunately, the temperature of the tyres rose gradually and after a few miles the alarm stopped.

Until that experience, I hadn't realised just how much tyre pressures fluctuate with temperature - it just goes to reinforce the advice that tyre pressures should be checked when outside temperatures are normal.

EmilysDad replied on 29/11/2016 11:03

Posted on 29/11/2016 11:03

..... tyre pressures should be checked when outside temperatures are normal.

Which is ......? Are we talking 'normal' for Algeria or Alaska?

MichaelT replied on 29/11/2016 11:49

Posted on 29/11/2016 11:49

David, does anyone on CT run the rear pressures at 80psi other than White Van Man...?

neither of the two major camper tyre manufacturers (Pirelli or Michelin) recommend this level when been supplied with 'normal' range axle weights....

all you need to do is consult their charts (googlable) and the appropriate pressures are available.

the 80psi figure is the default limit set for fully (over) loaded white vans...

what are your axle weights?

i run at 55 front, 65 rear.

Write your comments here...BB as I sated in another thread Michelin told me 65 front and 80 rear but htese are still a bit harsh so where are these tyre presure charts please, I tried to google but to no avail?

JD6620 replied on 29/11/2016 12:09

Posted on 29/11/2016 12:09

Michelin also told me 65 front and 80 rear.  The ride is very harsh.  I tend to reduce the rear a bit to 72 which makes it a bit better.  I have had the motorhome on the weighbridge and the rear axle is not that far under maximum load so I don't want to reduce pressure too much.

peedee replied on 29/11/2016 12:14

Posted on 29/11/2016 12:14

so where are these tyre presure charts please, I tried to google but to no avail?

I get mine from the chassis makers hand book. Sometimes you can find these online but mine came with one.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook