TV reception

Crofter14 replied on 20/09/2022 19:43

Posted on 20/09/2022 19:43

We have just returned from lovely stay at Bolton Abbey. With no tv reception we were curious to see long aerial extensions to some vans. Can these be rented from the site or do you buy and take with you? How do you know which sites need a link to the external aerial?

EmilysDad replied on 20/09/2022 23:40

Posted on 20/09/2022 23:40

the blurb on each site will/did tell you whether TV reception was good or bad and whether the EHU bollard had an aerial point. I bought a cable years ago from Nunnykirk but they're easy enough to make yourself from a length of co-axial cable & a couple of male plugs

Graydjames replied on 21/09/2022 08:40

Posted on 20/09/2022 19:43 by Crofter14

We have just returned from lovely stay at Bolton Abbey. With no tv reception we were curious to see long aerial extensions to some vans. Can these be rented from the site or do you buy and take with you? How do you know which sites need a link to the external aerial?

Posted on 21/09/2022 08:40

At first I thought you meant some kind of aerial on an extended pole, but your last sentence probably means you are referring to the (usually) white, co-axial cables that run from van to bollard. ED has assumed that. If you do mean those, then they are not at all bulky or heavy to carry in your van, so you don't really need to know in advance. I carry my cable with me always although I have found that it is rare that I use it these days - either because the site does not have aerial connections on the bollards or because, if they do, it was not necessary to use them. However, I mostly go to less remote sites these days.

I have seen cables on sale at some sites, but not, I think, for hire. They are very cheap to buy on Amazon or elsewhere.  

ED refers to the site blurb. The leaflet given at the site sometimes refers to TV reception but, in my experience, this is never very helpful. Sometimes it gives the name of the transmission mast to aim for with your own aerial, but only by name and how does anyone know whereabouts that is? I use an App to assist, but that's a bit hit and miss as well. I am not sure if the site information on the web site, or in the book, mentions TV reception. I have never noticed to be honest and I hardly ever look in the book. I suppose I should. 

Just always take a cable.

Moderator Edit:

Sites Directory for Bolton Abbey does state in the "On Site" section -  TV reception poor.  TV booster.

SteveL replied on 21/09/2022 08:53

Posted on 21/09/2022 08:53

The information on TV reception / connectors on bollards is below the site layout map. This is still available on the new system. When you have the site details up scroll to the bottom of the left hand pane and you can download the pdf. As far as how good the reception is, I don’t think it’s been updated in many cases since analogue days. Generally since the introduction of digital things have improved.

lizandmax replied on 22/09/2022 09:05

Posted on 22/09/2022 09:05

I'm sure this has been covered before, so apologies in advance. We have an Avtex TV which runs off the small ariel on the van roof. It works very well when the signal is strong and tries it's best when the signal is variable. I don't want to mess about with a sattelire dish so I was wondering whether the signal boosters are any good and if I should invest in one of those. This isn't a life threatening situation, it's just a bit annoying if it's raining and there is something on TV I wouldn't mind watching 

SteveL replied on 22/09/2022 09:25

Posted on 22/09/2022 09:05 by lizandmax

I'm sure this has been covered before, so apologies in advance. We have an Avtex TV which runs off the small ariel on the van roof. It works very well when the signal is strong and tries it's best when the signal is variable. I don't want to mess about with a sattelire dish so I was wondering whether the signal boosters are any good and if I should invest in one of those. This isn't a life threatening situation, it's just a bit annoying if it's raining and there is something on TV I wouldn't mind watching 

Posted on 22/09/2022 09:25

Most caravans / MH’s have a signal booster installed as original equipment. In our two caravans with large roof aerials these could be switched on / off on the unit. Whilst in our current MH the whip antenna is powered up the coaxial cable by the Avtex TV. There is a setting in the TV system set up that turns antenna power on. I believe Avtex market an antenna that can be powered in just such a way, or with a separate supply if using another TV.

They certainly make a difference in medium signal strength areas. If the antenna power is turned off we get broken reception and not many channels tune in, with it on we get good reception and lots of channels. In poor signal areas it’s a DVD I’m afraid, unless there is a site loop and socket on the EHU bollard.

nelliethehooker replied on 22/09/2022 20:42

Posted on 22/09/2022 20:42

We found, in our last van, that the booster supplied was next to useless so instead we went directly from the van's Ariel lead to our TV, an Avtex too, which gave much better reception. Not used the TV in the new van yet so don't know if it was a fault with the booster in the old van or not. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook