Truma Error code 6

Autotrail johnnie replied on 16/03/2021 14:16

Posted on 16/03/2021 14:16

Help.
My Truma combi cuts out a minute or so after starting listing "error code 6"
I've contacted Truma who say it's combustion air motor and to take it to a dealer to check 12v supply and get it replaced.
As an engineer I'm confident I can change the component but Truma refuse to send me a wiring diagram to enable me to just check the inputs to confirm the failure. (Not impressed)
Has anybody else had this issue? I'm loath to spend £250 to £300 for the part without checking the basics first.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/03/2021 15:12

Posted on 16/03/2021 15:12

Have you checked online? There are loads of hits for the fault codes and you might find a wiring diagram.

EmilysDad replied on 16/03/2021 16:03

Posted on 16/03/2021 16:03

a very quick Google found this ... (I'm sure there must be more) but it could be the fan motor is partially seized 🤷‍♂️ If you're lucky, it might be fixed with a squirt of lube. Could you put 12 volts directly across it to prove the actual motor?

Autotrail johnnie replied on 16/03/2021 16:21

Posted on 16/03/2021 16:21

Fans certainly not seized and this is on hook up so voltage should be good.
Unfortunatly the motor is inclusive of it's own Cct board so not easy to just put the supply across as it uses other inputs.
Gonna have to bite the bullet and take a chance on replacing the unit I suppose.

Autotrail johnnie replied on 05/04/2021 12:57

Posted on 05/04/2021 12:57

Update incase anybody else suffers this fault.

Spoke to Truma who confirmed it may be the combustion air motor as above but said I should take it to a dealer as it needed to be electrically checked to confirm. I asked them for a wiring diagram but they refused to send me one as I haven't been trained by them.
I carried out basic voltage checks and con checked the cable and it all looked good to me so I got a used unit of e-bay for £85. (they seem to be between £250-300 new)
Fitted it (3 torx screws and a plug) and happy days we have heating again!!!!!!!!
Whoop, whoop, thanks for nothing Truma!!!!

DavidKlyne replied on 05/04/2021 15:35

Posted on 05/04/2021 15:35

Well done, I wish I was as cleversmile I had to have a new circuit board on my Truma system, it failed at less than a year old and fortunately was replaced under warranty. Had you thought about having the defunct one serviced to keep as a spare?

David

Autotrail johnnie replied on 05/04/2021 17:52

Posted on 05/04/2021 17:52

There's a company that overhauls them for £95.
Might be advisable as having on in salt wouldn't be a bad idea

SeasideBill replied on 06/04/2021 10:13

Posted on 05/04/2021 12:57 by Autotrail johnnie

Update incase anybody else suffers this fault.

Spoke to Truma who confirmed it may be the combustion air motor as above but said I should take it to a dealer as it needed to be electrically checked to confirm. I asked them for a wiring diagram but they refused to send me one as I haven't been trained by them.
I carried out basic voltage checks and con checked the cable and it all looked good to me so I got a used unit of e-bay for £85. (they seem to be between £250-300 new)
Fitted it (3 torx screws and a plug) and happy days we have heating again!!!!!!!!
Whoop, whoop, thanks for nothing Truma!!!!

Posted on 06/04/2021 10:13

Remember the days when folks would give you the benefit of the doubt and accept that if you were asking technical questions you might just be a bit handy and clever enough to fix stuff? Now they block you at every turn and manufacture without any thought that somebody, some day might want to fix it rather than just add to landfill.

JVB66 replied on 06/04/2021 10:21

Posted on 06/04/2021 10:13 by SeasideBill

Remember the days when folks would give you the benefit of the doubt and accept that if you were asking technical questions you might just be a bit handy and clever enough to fix stuff? Now they block you at every turn and manufacture without any thought that somebody, some day might want to fix it rather than just add to landfill.

Posted on 06/04/2021 10:21

Elf and Safety dear boy and,,just in case of "litigation "when you take them to court afterward for wrong informationundecided

JohnM20 replied on 06/04/2021 10:58

Posted on 06/04/2021 10:58

Last year I had to have a new heating element kit for my Truma. Although only one element had failed I had to have the kit of two at over £300 plus fitting so best part of £600 in total. Talking to my caravan service guy recently he told me that Truma are going to / have stopped supplying the kits on the basis that service engineers haven't got the skill to fit them. Instead they are only supplying the complete boiler unit at about £1000 !!! (plus fitting of course). My faith in Truma as a usually helpful company is starting to wain a bit.

SeasideBill replied on 06/04/2021 14:03

Posted on 06/04/2021 10:21 by JVB66

Elf and Safety dear boy and,,just in case of "litigation "when you take them to court afterward for wrong informationundecided

Posted on 06/04/2021 14:03

I think it’s more fundamentally stupid than that. Take the current Ducato, there is an oil level sensor inside the engine. Presumably because Fiat think we’re all too lazy to use the dip stick? Fair enough, but a lot of them fail. You can ignore it, but a generic warning light becomes a permanent feature on your dash which may frighten off any future purchaser. Replacing it will set you back about a £thousand, mostly labour and VAT. 

I purchased a BMW privately many years back. It was from the generation of cars launched in the early 1980s with on board computers and electronic this & that. Having been reared on Ford Cortinas and the like, I assumed the faulty offside indicator was a £5 blown bulb or flasher unit. Wrong! It was a small component on a PCB that cost £750 to replace, which was exactly what I’d paid for the car! Probably made assembling it quick and simple, but just a future headache for the hapless folks who purchased them.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook