Trailer

JollyKernow replied on 22/12/2016 17:26

Posted on 22/12/2016 17:26

Hi All

I'm looking for peoples opinions, thoughts, experience etc on car transporter trailers. Anyone out there tow a trailer behind the motorhome with a car on? That's the advice I'm after.

I need to transport my Pug 108 to Spain behind the motorhome. I have a 2.500 kg towing limit and as the car only weighs in at under 900kgs not an issue there.

Just need thoughts on what trailer, be it single or twin axle etc, what make did you buy etc

Cheers in advance

JK

Wex replied on 22/12/2016 18:56

Posted on 22/12/2016 18:56

I towed a Smart behind (wait for it!) an Autotrail Grande Frontier. It was on a Brian James single axle trailer and you hardly knew it was there.

Robert

triky auto replied on 22/12/2016 21:42

Posted on 22/12/2016 21:42

I used to tow my Smart 4/2 behind the 'Autocruise Sunningdale' on an 'A' frame  BUT BUT !!  ,They stopped that facility in Spain as they said it was'nt a trailer ,DESPITE the DVLA saying it was !! surprised There has been LOTS of discussion on that subject in the past .To tow a car on a trailer means that you have extra costs of the trailer, fuel consumption,extra space taken up on site for parking,extra length on ferry fares and autoroutes,extra insurance,But But ,you DO have the extra ability to tour around with your independent transport,without waiting for buses or taxi's.or hire cars.IMO,if you can afford the independence ,go for it .I DID ,it give you a whole new concept to touring .GOOD LUCK ,& ENJOY !! cool.

Tinwheeler replied on 22/12/2016 21:51

Posted on 22/12/2016 21:51

Hi, JK. I would suggest sticking to a well known make such as Ifor Williams or Brian James.

Their dealership outlets or web sites will give any information you need and their trailers are often designed for specific vehicle types. We made the mistake of buying a trailer made by a small local company and it was a disaster.

H B Watson replied on 23/12/2016 08:05

Posted on 23/12/2016 08:05

I've towed several cars over the years on my Brian James twin axle transporter, they tow beautifully, the twin makes it a really stable tow (far more stable than a caravan, low COG and no slab sides), but a bugger to handle off the hitch laden, hence I've now fitted motor movers. I would not be without it.

MichaelT replied on 23/12/2016 09:33

Posted on 23/12/2016 09:33

Why not sell the MH, buy a nice tow car and caravan and do it the proper way round?

JollyKernow replied on 23/12/2016 17:42

Posted on 23/12/2016 17:42

Hi

I think it's looking like a twin axle brian james type trailer then, Done the a frame thing for 6 years with the last motorhome, got stopped and fined twice in Spain too.

I already have a caravan which I live in on site for eight months of the year, so no to that. As you can see from my avatar I have an American fifth wheel in Spain but I'm not allowed to keep the motorhome on pitch as well, that's why I need to take the car.

Anyone selling a trailer cheap??!!!

Philnffc replied on 24/12/2016 20:36

Posted on 24/12/2016 20:36

JK

When I worked Bognor eight years ago I had one made from a company in Alton near Southampton and they taylor made it to my specs and it was half the price of the main protagonist like James/Smart and Williams. They make boat trailers mainly but where more then happy to adapt for a car and made a good job, had it till three years ago until swapped like you to a-frame which I have just sold having just moved to live in Spain this year. Never got stopped with it using the Zaragoza route to Alicante but down the coastal route was a no no.

JollyKernow replied on 25/12/2016 18:06

Posted on 25/12/2016 18:06

Hi Phil

Got stopped in convoy gong through Madrid (why not) in 2013, Civil Guards were more intrigued than anything but they decided two rv's towing cars was a no and we had to split up cars and give them 40 euros for the pleasure. Last time was in Burgos in 2014, Policia Local were after the money and we were on a mission for the south coast, pay up and get on holiday. Funny, got busted in Zaragoza last year for speeding, the law wasn't so forgiving then, 100 euros on the spot!!

What was the name of the company that made your trailer if you don't mind me asking?

Guardamar's a lovely place we love it there, it has a nice feel to it and the local Spanish seem more friendly than other towns don't you think?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook