Towing a car

mickysf replied on 11/10/2020 07:57

Posted on 11/10/2020 07:57

In order to expand our experiences and horizons even further I am now pondering towing a small car behind my motorhome. Wouldn't need it for every tour, just those where it would be benificial. This would also be our only every day car, a proper downsizing is something we always wanted to do in our retirement. Like the ability to be able to detach the car when needed so OH can drive this in order to stay and then explore those hard/imposible places to reach locations for caravans.

Any advice about suitable cars, tow bars, frames etc would be appreciated. Oh, also, can small autos or 4x4s be towed?

huskydog replied on 11/10/2020 08:05

Posted on 11/10/2020 08:05

I tow a Toyota Aygo , using an A frame by Towtal , it cost about £1100 to have fitted 2 years ago , the frame folds down and goes in the boot when not needed , the other thing is to check your car insurance will cover the a frame , I had to change my insurer, so it’s worth a phone call first 

peedee replied on 11/10/2020 08:06

Posted on 11/10/2020 08:06

This was recently discussed >here< I have seen small 4x4s being towed by american RVs. What you can tow all depends on your gross train weight but the lighter the towed vehicle the better it is for fuel economy and outfit performance.

peedee

EmilysDad replied on 11/10/2020 08:39

Posted on 11/10/2020 08:39

you'll break a torque converter auto if you tow one more than a few miles. However automated manual can be towed ie Smarts though the manufacturers will still state that they can not be towed because they're automatic ... covering their backside.

peedee replied on 11/10/2020 09:53

Posted on 11/10/2020 09:53

My Suzuki manual explains how to tow my semi auto Celerio with a motorhome ED, so not all manufacturers use donkey blankets.

peedee

EmilysDad replied on 11/10/2020 11:00

Posted on 11/10/2020 09:53 by peedee

My Suzuki manual explains how to tow my semi auto Celerio with a motorhome ED, so not all manufacturers use donkey blankets.

peedee

Posted on 11/10/2020 11:00

I'll stand facing the corner head bowed in disgrace then ..... 🙄

I know that Mercedes certainly say their Smarts can not be towed due to being automatic ... I asked them. 😉

dave the rave replied on 11/10/2020 11:41

Posted on 11/10/2020 07:57 by mickysf

In order to expand our experiences and horizons even further I am now pondering towing a small car behind my motorhome. Wouldn't need it for every tour, just those where it would be benificial. This would also be our only every day car, a proper downsizing is something we always wanted to do in our retirement. Like the ability to be able to detach the car when needed so OH can drive this in order to stay and then explore those hard/imposible places to reach locations for caravans.

Any advice about suitable cars, tow bars, frames etc would be appreciated. Oh, also, can small autos or 4x4s be towed?

Posted on 11/10/2020 11:41

Most continental countries have outlawed this.Much safer on a trailer!I have seen front chassis members and mechanical damage on vehicles that have been subjected to stresses for which they are not designed.

peedee replied on 11/10/2020 12:14

Posted on 11/10/2020 11:41 by dave the rave

Most continental countries have outlawed this.Much safer on a trailer!I have seen front chassis members and mechanical damage on vehicles that have been subjected to stresses for which they are not designed.

Posted on 11/10/2020 12:14

For me a trailer has never been an option. I guess there is always a risk of using an A-Frame but I have never had a problem with the three cars I have towed over twenty years of doing so. First one was a  Fiesta which I towed for about 10 years. I changed this for a Nissan Micra C+C, which I towed for 5 years. Both had manual transmission and I towed them using a Car-a-Tow Frame. 4 years ago I sold the Nissan in favour of a Suzuki Celerio with semi auto transmission. It was a lighter car with more space and no road tax. At the same time as I bought the Suzuki I changed the A-Frame to the much lighter and compact Towbars-2-Tow electronic version.

peedee

rayjsj replied on 18/10/2020 21:50

Posted on 18/10/2020 21:50

Agree peedee, I towed a Yaris behind my Autotrail for 4years without a problem, on a Car a Tow A frame.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook