Total User Payload

fatbelly replied on 07/02/2017 14:00

Posted on 07/02/2017 14:00

HI we collect our new MH in 3 weeks. It has a "Total User Payload" of 315kg. This sounds a lot to me but I don't know what this figure takes into account? For example between my partner and I we have a combined weight of 150kg so is this included in our 315kg? How about fuel in the tank do we include this in our calculation. 

Thanks.......

MichaelT replied on 07/02/2017 14:47

Posted on 07/02/2017 14:47

You have too look what the manufacturer takes into account for the MIRO but normally would include a driver at 75kg, 90% fuel tank and maybe 10l of water.  I would say you are going to struggle to keep within the 3,500kg limit (if it is 3500kg) with such a small payload.  If you think about a TV, gas, clothes (15kg each person), food, cooking/eating utensils/pots, toiletries, passenger, any extras you had fitted such as awning, solar panel, auto gearbox.

Would recommend you get the dealer to take it to a weighbridge and confirm the weight before adding anything extra or filling the water tanks.

MichaelT replied on 07/02/2017 15:12

Posted on 07/02/2017 15:12

This is taken from the SWIFT website as an example.  Note it even mentions a calor lite gas cylinder and no water in the tanks.  Adding water of even 20l will take 20kg off the 315kg you have, then take off another 75kg for Mrs FB, 30kg clothes etc etc!!!

1. The Maximum User Payload includes:
    the conventional load (this is the allowance for passengers)
    essential habitation equipment (items and fluids required for safe and proper functioning of habitation equipment)
    optional equipment (items available from the manufacturer over and above the standard specification)
    personal effects (those items not covered by the above)
  2. The Mass in Running Order is the mass of the unladen vehicle including a 75kg allowance for the driver plus engine coolants and 90% of the fuel tank capacity and 1 x 6kg Calor Lite LPG cylinder.  The MRO is calculated with the fresh water tank empty. If you travel with water in the fresh water tank then the payload will reduce accordingly.
  3. Please take care to ensure that you have allowed for the masses of all items you intend to carry in the motor caravan, e.g. passengers, optional equipment, essential habitation equipment and personal effects, such as clothing, food, pets, bicycles, sailboards, sports equipment etc.
  4. Warning - under no circumstances should the maximum technical permissible laden mass of this motor caravan be exceeded.

peegeenine replied on 07/02/2017 15:25

Posted on 07/02/2017 15:25

315 kg is not a lot of payload what ever the manufacturer declares as being included and the figure will be for the base model so any optional extras fitted are not included. There is also an allowable +/- 5% on the MIRO. As has been stated, the only way you will know what the actual pay load is to weigh the empty motorhome. Then weigh it again when you have put everything in it that you wish to carry including all passengers, paying attention to axle weights at the same time.

InaD replied on 07/02/2017 18:40

Posted on 07/02/2017 18:40

Payload is something which is often overlooked when looking for a MH, yet it is one of the most important aspects.

I agree, 315kg is not much; usually the driver is included at 75kg, but passengers are not.  So just 1 passenger will take it well below the 300kg (not being cheeky here), but in our case I'm about 65kg, so that would leave us only 250kg payload, which I would find insufficient.

Also, extras fitted like a bikerack with bikes, an awning, aircon or satellite will all eat into the payload.  Then clothes, pots, pans, crockery, cutlery, books, maps, table and chairs, clothes, towels, food, etc, etc; it all adds up very quickly.

TJ49 replied on 07/02/2017 19:25

Posted on 07/02/2017 19:25

Some years ago I took the Caravan Club checklist and put it into a spreadsheet and used it to ensure I had everything onboard.

Using the list I then weighed all the 'extras' ; levelling blocks (4.1Kg), mains lead (4.4Kg), pots, pan etc., etc. etc. to work out how much was left for food & clothes.

We travel light but it came to almost 150Kg.

We usually drain all grey water and fresh water down to 25% before travelling to keep the weight down.

Thornsett replied on 09/02/2017 11:46

Posted on 09/02/2017 11:46

As has been said, you need to find out how the manufacturer calculates its Mass in Running Order [MIRO]. There used to a regulation that states what a manufacturer has to include but now it is basically they just have you tell you what is included.

In addition to what the manufacturer says, you may have to add any accessories you have fitted to the basic model. In my case, that added c100kg to the weight, thus reducing my payload.

You can ask the dealer to provide you with a weighbridge ticket for your van in 'as delivered to you' condition. You need the overall weight and weight per axle. To that you will have to add anything they have not included which may include fuel and water. A good dealer will be happy to help you on this.

315kg may be enough for two people if there are two using the van for two week trips using sites/CLs and packing with care. My wife and I just about manage on 300kg with 20l of water and no passengers because we travel lightly, using sites most of the time.

You can usually get the weight limit on the van increased to 3,650kg if you have a C1 driving licence entitlement. That may not increase the weight allowed for each axle though but it should be enough as the axles are probably already set up for this.

This is a common problem so do a web search for more information. Consider seeking advice from motorhome specific forums. If you do, quote the make, model, and type of chassis, eg Alko 3,500kg. I would suggest Motorhome Matters forum as a starter [it's free] and is linked to masses of motorhome related information on the Out & About Live website. And don't forget to check the CC technical information.

fatbelly replied on 09/02/2017 13:03

Posted on 09/02/2017 13:03

Thanks for the replies guys.

The vehicle is plated to 3,500kg. I've checked Baileys website and it states the MRO is 3,185kg. So I assume this includes a driver weighing 75kg engine oil etc a 6kg propane cylinder and the fuel tank nearly full. I'm guessing that Mrs FB weighs 65kg which would leave us with 250kg of clothing, food, pots and pans etc. I am a total newbie but this sounds  enough to me. Or am I wrong?

peegeenine replied on 09/02/2017 13:58

Posted on 09/02/2017 13:58

That depends on wether the MIRO is correct. Don't forget that the MIRO is allowed a +/-5% variation so that could mean 150kg on top. Also, most people carry 2 gas bottles and travel with at least some water in the fresh water tank. There is probably 10kg of water in the boiler and pipes too. Only weighing the van will give accurate figures. Should you be worried? Probably not, just be careful what you put in it.

InaD replied on 09/02/2017 15:54

Posted on 09/02/2017 13:03 by fatbelly

Thanks for the replies guys.

The vehicle is plated to 3,500kg. I've checked Baileys website and it states the MRO is 3,185kg. So I assume this includes a driver weighing 75kg engine oil etc a 6kg propane cylinder and the fuel tank nearly full. I'm guessing that Mrs FB weighs 65kg which would leave us with 250kg of clothing, food, pots and pans etc. I am a total newbie but this sounds  enough to me. Or am I wrong?

Posted on 09/02/2017 15:54

Those are the figures I quoted in my earlier post relating to my weight wink   As has been said already, MIRO is subject to a +/-5% variation, so you could be better off or worse off; until the vehicle has been weighed on a weighbridge with everything in it that you would take away with you on a trip, including the passenger, you won't know what the exact figures are for your vehicle.

Also, don't forget that any extras fitted to the MH, such as awning, bikerack, satellite, aircon will also eat into your payload.

You'll have to be careful with what you take with you, but that is not necessarily a bad thing!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook