TomTom map updates in built in system?

kenexton replied on 20/02/2021 07:28

Posted on 20/02/2021 07:28

We have a 2019 Auto - Sleeper(Peugeot Boxer) with a built in Tom Tom sat nav /radio unit.It went in for Y2 service at Robins and Day,Sheffield yesterday(Peugeot Main Dealers) and when I asked them about the map updates they did not know how to do it.They told me to visit the Tom Tom website which I did and I came away none the wiser.My AS dealer is shut pending "white smoke"from the Government re Lockdown,so does anyone out there have an idea about how you obtain the said map updates?We have had "fun and games" with out of date SatNav maps in the past -particularly in urban areas on the Continent.🙈

I always keep an up to date,nation relevant, paper road map in the vehicle as a back up,having been driving abroad  since long before SatNav was even dreamt of.

replied on 20/02/2021 07:56

Posted on 20/02/2021 07:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

cyberyacht replied on 20/02/2021 08:32

Posted on 20/02/2021 08:32

I had a built-in TomTom in my previous Marquis Majestic (2016 Peugeot). It only had a one-off free map update. AS there was also no way to load POI's except individually, I didn't bother with a subscription. I've bought a standalone TTCamper for my Carthago which didn't have a built-in one. Standalone is much more flexible.

kenexton replied on 20/02/2021 10:10

Posted on 20/02/2021 10:10

Hmm-consensus seems to be a case of "flogging a dead horse" here.I will ring AS in Willersey next week to see if they have any advice .The SN is part of their "options" pack when you purchase the van so they should know-or maybe not....😕.

Peugeot main dealer was "clueless" in this regard,so back  to our(40 years a customer) trusted local garage when warranty expires next year.Peugeot paid for this service as a "goodwill" gesture following a series of hassles for me;due to their poor manufacturing standards  and poor QC.That is another story with which I shall not burden you - save to say that polite but firm conversations with Peugeot did get them to cough up for the service,in the end.

We already have two Garmin units for our cars but I am trying to avoid "spaghetti" wire clutter in the cab as I already have a dash cam wire in there.Get the map out time?

replied on 20/02/2021 10:21

Posted on 20/02/2021 10:21

I had the option of a built in satnav included within the cost when I bought my X-Trail 15 years ago. I said 'No Thanks' as I can position the stand alone where I want it. I did not want a displace in the centre of the dash.

EmilysDad replied on 20/02/2021 10:55

Posted on 20/02/2021 10:55

try WAZE on your phone. It's real time too so shows delays, accidents etc I had the sat-nav updated on my Merc when I bought it a couple of years ago .... even the most up to date maps were out dated. If I'd been paying for it myself, I could have found other things to spend £140 on.

SeasideBill replied on 20/02/2021 11:02

Posted on 20/02/2021 11:02

Not sure about the specific TomTim model, but fixed units in vehicles are generally updated using a flash drive. Download updates from product manufacturers site and upload via usb connection in car (usually in/under glove box area). Is there an option to download updates from the TomTom site? Updates are BIG files so you’ll need a high capacity USB stick and plenty of time! You may have to leave your ignition on for the duration of the upload.

As others have suggested a portable unit with wifi updates makes life a lot easier. You may need to leave your ignition on for the duration of the upload.

DavidKlyne replied on 20/02/2021 15:26

Posted on 20/02/2021 11:02 by SeasideBill

Not sure about the specific TomTim model, but fixed units in vehicles are generally updated using a flash drive. Download updates from product manufacturers site and upload via usb connection in car (usually in/under glove box area). Is there an option to download updates from the TomTom site? Updates are BIG files so you’ll need a high capacity USB stick and plenty of time! You may have to leave your ignition on for the duration of the upload.

As others have suggested a portable unit with wifi updates makes life a lot easier. You may need to leave your ignition on for the duration of the upload.

Posted on 20/02/2021 15:26

I think that is the method I would use on my car with a built in TomTom but whilst the navigation system in the motorhome is also a TomTom I am not sure whether the same system applies. Ken might be best contacting Peugeot direct? 

On the question of updating I wonder how worthwhile it is, especially if you have to pay for it? I remember years ago using a stand alone TomTom with up to date maps. Driving down the then new A28 in France I was often directed to turn right into what would have been a field! I think road infrastructure takes time to filter through. Changes to speed limits might be quicker.

David

SeasideBill replied on 20/02/2021 16:40

Posted on 20/02/2021 15:26 by DavidKlyne

I think that is the method I would use on my car with a built in TomTom but whilst the navigation system in the motorhome is also a TomTom I am not sure whether the same system applies. Ken might be best contacting Peugeot direct? 

On the question of updating I wonder how worthwhile it is, especially if you have to pay for it? I remember years ago using a stand alone TomTom with up to date maps. Driving down the then new A28 in France I was often directed to turn right into what would have been a field! I think road infrastructure takes time to filter through. Changes to speed limits might be quicker.

David

Posted on 20/02/2021 16:40

It’s a good point. I read an item in Auto Express about SD cards for sat nav updates provided by the manufacturer. Cheapest was about £75 rising to £200! I reckon you can probably manage perfectly well for at least 3 years without updating.

cyberyacht replied on 20/02/2021 17:49

Posted on 20/02/2021 17:49

I drove all the way to Alicante and back with a satnav that must have been at least ten years out of date. Mind you, it did think the A75 was fields. Even that out of date, they are still quite useful.

TJ49 replied on 20/02/2021 19:23

Posted on 20/02/2021 19:23

Our 2014 Autotrail came with a built-in sat-nav.

It is updated by removing the SD card and plugging it into my PC. Then running the manufacturer's application which loads the update directly onto the SD card. It gives you a couple of years updates but is not cheap.

I'm thinking of using one on my phone instead which is then portable !

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook