Thule Towbar Easy Base & Easy Box

JacquiandSteve replied on 06/04/2021 18:59

Posted on 06/04/2021 18:59

Hi, I'm looking at additional storage for my 2005 Ducato and considering a Thuile easy base tow bar rack and easy storage box. Does anyone use this set up and if so how do you find it?

peedee replied on 07/04/2021 07:40

Posted on 07/04/2021 07:40

I have the tow bar carrier but not the box. I think it is a very versatile system but because it attaches to the tow bar, make sure you have the payload for the extra weight it will put on the back axle. I use mine to carry bikes or occasionally an awning as well. It does mean you do not have to lift items high to get them on the rack which is very helpful and it is very easy to mount on the tow ball and take off.

It is easy to move to another vehicle fitted with a tow bar and stores easily on the wall in my garage when not required.

peedee

Takethedogalong replied on 07/04/2021 11:27

Posted on 07/04/2021 11:27

We have a Thule tow bar mounted carrier, haven’t used it on MH (we have a Fiamma on there) Use ours on our Jeep, excellent piece of kit. As PD says, you need to be aware of loadage on towball and back axle. 

kenexton replied on 07/04/2021 12:35

Posted on 07/04/2021 12:35

We have exactly that set up mounted on a RoadPro fitted Van Swing.The latter allows the rear doors on our Warwick .Duo to be opened as well.We also have a Thule Velo-Compact cycle reach which pops onto the Van Swing if not using the box.The Thule system uses 7 pin electrics but the VS has 16 pin so an adaptor is required.With the Easy-Base there are two issues to be aware of:1..clearance from the rear of it to the electrics connector is tight so buy a 7/16 adaptor which is on a cable rather than the more compact sort as the protective cover on them fouls the base at the assembly bolts.I reversed the nut/ bolt positions to reduce this problem.2.the fitting of the clamp to the tow ball is done with a spanner which requires kneeling under the Easy Base ,so fitting it with the EasyBox in situ is really a two person job.You can buy a plastic locking cover for the fitting bolt which stops anyone without the keys unbolting the Easy Base.You can get "keyed alike" with any other Thule kit you  may have.The rear lights let in water as they are the same unit turned upside down and the r/h one leaks at the seam- I cured this by wrapping clear water-proof tape round them.Permitted weight in the box drops to 30kg when you factor in the weight of the Easy Base and box on the towball.We put bulky,lighter item in ours.

For bikes we have two Bromptons which will fit in the box if we want to but we tend to pop them inside the van to travel-they slide in front of the cab seats at night.

We like the outfit as it reduces "clutter" inside our PVC when touring.The outfit is not cheap to buy particularly when you factor in the Van -Swing cost as well.We got a "best price" for the Thule kit from Journey Centre in Rotherham with whom I have no business connection,by the way.

Hope this helps - anything else,just ask.

kenexton replied on 07/04/2021 12:50

Posted on 07/04/2021 12:50

Also pushes loa of outfit from 5.99m up to 6.8,we had to extend the MH garage to get it all in.I am getting a bit too old and creaky  these days to be lifting it on/off with any regularity.

DavidKlyne replied on 07/04/2021 13:13

Posted on 07/04/2021 13:13

As Ken knows I have been spending a lot of time recently wondering what sort of storage options I could use on my Bailey. Because we are uncertain whether we will be carrying bikes again I decided to go for a Fiamma Bike Pro motorhome mounted rack (fortunately fixing bars pre installed) with the option of a Fiamma Back Box. Not as convenient as the low level suggestions being discussed here but a lot cheaper if you don't already have a tow bar already installed. It might be another option for the OP if they already have a Fiamma bike rack fitted to their van?

David

peedee replied on 07/04/2021 13:18

Posted on 07/04/2021 13:18

.With the Easy-Base there are two issues to be aware of:1..clearance from the rear of it to the electrics connector is tight so buy a 7/16 adaptor which is on a cable rather than the more compact sort as the protective cover on them fouls the base at the assembly bolts.I reversed the nut/ bolt positions to reduce this problem.2.the fitting of the clamp to the tow ball is done with a spanner which requires kneeling under the Easy Base ,

I did have problems with the clearance of the adapter, but this could depend on the socket configuration on the towbar. I moved my socket by fitting it to an extension plate. I don't recognise the need to kneel under the Easy Base. Have you seen this >U_Tube video<.

peedee

Takethedogalong replied on 07/04/2021 15:26

Posted on 07/04/2021 15:26

Good advice there from KenExton, I forgot to mention about the adaptor. Thule equipment is excellent quality, better than Fiamma in our opinion. We use both a Thule bike carrier, one that tilts to allow access to rear of vehicle, and a Thule load carrier. MH came with Fiamma bike rack fitted, but it’s quite a hike up for heavy bikes. It does take a Fiamma Box though with just a few modifications. Box is brilliant for Winter use, gives us a lot more storage space with our small Autosleeper.

Like Ken, our Thule stuff is all from Journey Centre in Rotherham, good place to deal with, very helpful.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook