The Future?

peedee replied on 25/07/2018 08:14

Posted on 25/07/2018 08:14

From what I have read, it is more likely to be battery power it being safer and easier to provide. Sodium/ion could be the next generation battery, fast recharging, greater number of cycles and longer distances.

peedee

H B Watson replied on 25/07/2018 13:03

Posted on 25/07/2018 13:03

I agree with peedee. Hydrogen will be a very difficult infrastructure switch, electricity much easier but still with huge problems no matter what the government or greenies say.

hitchglitch replied on 25/07/2018 19:52

Posted on 25/07/2018 19:52

There is a strong body of opinion that Hydrogen fuel cells will be the next big development. You can see that with a range of 300 km and only 4.5kg of fuel there is much potential. My view is that battery technology is improving so rapidly and the infrastructure for charging having such a big investment, Hydrogen will get left behind. We shall see over the next 5 years.

ChemicalJasper replied on 26/07/2018 18:09

Posted on 26/07/2018 18:09

….and hydrogen does not grow on trees!

You typically have to steam reform Methane (natural gas), creating hydrogen and CO2  (CH4 + H2O → CO + 3 H2 then CO + H2O → CO2 + H2)

or by produce it by electrolysis using electricity generated from, in part, burning fossil fuels!

Phishing replied on 26/07/2018 21:42

Posted on 26/07/2018 21:42

Batteries have only made small steps in development and are still not flexible enough for most users. If you add the fact that our electrical infrastructure is on its knees and could not possibly take another 10% of demand never mind the huge increases if everyone goes electric then it really is politicians talking utter rubbish when they say the are banning this and banning that. Without total new grid and distribution that is ground up planned then battery charging for all is a pipe dream that could not be delivered in the next 10 years. And even if it is then at times of demand we still burn fossil to charge the green vehicles. 

My own view is that electrically driven range extended vehicles will become the norm in the short term, 200 mile per gallon diesels etc. Proper hybrids, not the tax dodging excuses for hybrids currently being sold.

I also think fuel cell has a bigger future than most are looking at, in what form is still up in the air but you can buy them now.

I don't understand why gas never made it, cheap, cleaner, good range, proven technology, relatively cheap to fit to existing technology.

Kennine replied on 27/07/2018 10:44

Posted on 27/07/2018 10:44

The future -- I see a greater market for much smaller motorhomes and also Van conversions using whatever the latest battery power is available. Hybrid vehicles still use fossil fuels so they will die out. Camping sites will  have electric charge points on pitches. The future looks bright for those of us who tour by Motorhome. 

smile

Oneputt replied on 27/07/2018 12:08

Posted on 27/07/2018 12:08

Hybrid vehicles still use fossil fuels so they will die out

Do you really believe that by 2040 we will leave billions of barrels oil or billions of cubic meters of gas in the ground, think that is it a bit of naive thinking.

An example, the Leman gas field which I worked on for about 40 years had a 25 year production life, in the 1990's new survey and extraction technology, directional drilling, sub-sea well heads, unmanned platforms etc.,  came along and production life was extended by 30 years.  This happens all the time. 

hitchglitch replied on 27/07/2018 13:34

Posted on 27/07/2018 13:34

My car has a small cooling system leak and a small oil leak. I fill it up at a garage where refined fuel is delivered by tankers which create pollution and clog up the roads. The fuel supply is susceptible to oil price rises and industrial action. The thought of an electric car with no engine sump etc. and which can be charged cheaply off-peak is very appealing.

People are underestimating the speed of the transition and the enormous investments being made by industry and government to make it happen. Modern day luddites perhaps?

Tigi replied on 27/07/2018 20:56

Posted on 27/07/2018 13:34 by hitchglitch

My car has a small cooling system leak and a small oil leak. I fill it up at a garage where refined fuel is delivered by tankers which create pollution and clog up the roads. The fuel supply is susceptible to oil price rises and industrial action. The thought of an electric car with no engine sump etc. and which can be charged cheaply off-peak is very appealing.

People are underestimating the speed of the transition and the enormous investments being made by industry and government to make it happen. Modern day luddites perhaps?

Posted on 27/07/2018 20:56

Charging cars cheaply won`t last five minutes anymore than cheaper road tax for non polluting cars did. Lost fuel tax has to be replaced, perhaps thats where the Smart Meter comes in, low cost overnight electricity at a high VAT rate perhaps? you can be sure they`ll be someone working on it right now.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook