TESA Electric Levelling

Vantagemed replied on 07/06/2020 17:56

Posted on 07/06/2020 17:56

Just in the process of buying an Auto-Sleepers Symbol Van. I really want a self-levelling system. It's only a 5.4 metre van and the underside is quite cluttered with spare wheel, two water tanks, a gas tank, a space heater as well as the vehicle fuel tank and silencer. One more issue is the limited storage space inside this small vehicle - the largest storage space is under a shortish sofa, but this already houses a water heater and the battery, enclosed in a battery box.

I had hoped to have a MA-VE hydraulic system. Usually the hydraulic pump and tank is mounted below the vehicle in a box, but there is not enough room for it there, so it would have to go under the sofa and considerably decrease already limited storage. Similar issue with E&P. One alternative the dealer has suggested is a TESA electro-mechanical system.

Has anyone got one of these, or had direct experience of them? Any known issues? I'm not looking for opinions here, but information - the experience of anyone using TESA levelling, or information passed on from users. So if you have a TESA levelling system or have spoken to someone who has one I'd be most grateful for your input.

Dave Nicholson replied on 07/06/2020 19:36

Posted on 07/06/2020 19:36

Self levelling systems are quite heavy and given that you already have a few extras added to the vehicle your available payload will be reduced further. In our ten years with a motorhome covering over 8k miles per year and over 100 nights per year away in the UK and Europe I can count on both hands the number of times I’ve used levelling ramps. Chose your pitches wisely and don’t waste your money on a self levelling system.

Tinwheeler replied on 07/06/2020 19:48

Posted on 07/06/2020 19:48

I was going to say the same, Dave, until I read that only information on using the system was required so I guess the OP must have a specific reason for wanting auto levelling.

With a 6m van, I don’t even need the fingers on one hand to count the number of occasions ramps have been needed over the last couple of years.

Vantagemed replied on 10/06/2020 03:58

Posted on 10/06/2020 03:58

Thanks Tinwheeler and Dave for responding.  Although I'd mentioned that I didn't want opinions, your input did turn out to be very helpful.  I've since talked to a local high-end van converter who used to fit TESA electric levelling but has moved on to hydraulic because of issues with the electric system.  The upshot is that I'll try using the van without levelling and see how it goes.

In fact we've only used a motorcaravan in the UK once - a rented Wildax 6 metre van conversion.  The lovely site where we stayed had one fatal flaw - our allocated pitch was not quite level and I did not sleep well (though the better half never has a problem).  Also there were annoying little issues with drainage in the van's shower and kitchen.

Have done a lot of what is called "ow-to-kyampingu" (auto-camping) in Japan.  We use an old Honda people carrier which just happens to have two rows of rear seats that fold down to make a huge and very flat bed, and when I bought it sixteen years ago it was possible to specify rotating front seats, a good-sized table and curtains.  We mostly use excellent free public parking in the beautiful high mountains and can find hot springs almost everywhere - which takes care of the ablution side of things.  (I can definitely recommend soaking up to your neck in a hot spring bath as one of life's true joys.)  Japanese parking is usually very level - I suppose that it's something to do with the national obsession with order and precision - so I'm used to a very level bed thought that a levelling system would be a good thing to have on our small but beautifully formed new van in the UK.  I'm a seriously ancient person and was thinking that pushing a button might be a more agreeable alternative to messing about with levelling ramps.

Again, thanks for the input.

Tinwheeler replied on 10/06/2020 13:14

Posted on 10/06/2020 13:14

Well, I’m pleased Dave and I may have saved you a wadge of cash, V.

Our 6m AutoSleeper panel van is a Peugeot Boxer and the Wildax you hired was likely a Citroen Relay. I’m sure you know that the Sevel vans - Peugeot Boxer/Citroen Relay/Fiat Ducato - are virtually identical. They all tend to sit nose down. Hardstanding pitches are usually slightly higher at the back to allow drainage down to the roadway. Therefore, parking nose in can help eliminate the nose down effect and we find a bit of shuffling after eying up the ground will nearly always get the van level.

In the pic below, the rear of the pitch was the lowest point so we put the higher end of the van on it which needed less elevation than the front would have. (The ramps were supplied by the site owner).

I would definitely advise to try before you splash the cash, especially with a 5.4m van as I think you'll be OK.

hitchglitch replied on 11/06/2020 07:50

Posted on 11/06/2020 07:50

I suggest you ask the same question on the Autosleepers owners forum (asof). Vast amount of experience amongst the AS community.

We have a Broadway but nearly downsized to a Symbol Plus before the lockdown. Great vans and very popular but disappointing that AS have not yet fitted an electric sliding door and a fly screen like Adria.

QFour replied on 14/06/2020 16:45

Posted on 14/06/2020 16:45

We have levelling blocks etc and have only used them twice in the last four years. They are very expensive. Few blocks of wood is far cheaper but then you don't get to put the smug face on when you pull up on a slight sloop and it levels itself.

Watched one guy on a club sit with levelling ramps. First the front wheels went up and down again, then one under the back and one under the front, then both at the back. The following morning we noticed that he had used one and it was just touching the wheel.

no one replied on 14/06/2020 21:43

Posted on 14/06/2020 21:43

you can download an app (camper leveller) that tells you where and how high or low at each corner for the ramps, all you need to do is input your vehicle dimensions to start with.

Not used it in anger yet but seems useful....

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook