Technical Advice please. Peugeot Boxer 2.5D 1996

Gorillademo replied on 01/05/2019 20:13

Posted on 01/05/2019 20:13

Hello there Ladies and gentlemen. Does anyone know where the fuel 'lift pump' is on the 2.5 (non turbo) boxer 1996?  I'm suspecting it's incorporated with the sender unit in the fuel tank?

The problem... She always starts (hot, cold, stood, no difference) then you drive 100m and she's starving for fuel and stalls.  If you turn it long enough she will go... and amazingly seems fine after that for the rest of the day.  I know the hand primer 'sucks' the fuel into the filter bowl... but what pushes it from the tank to the filter bowl?

A couple of things I thought it could be... 1. A blocked fuel tank vent, creating a vacuum and drawing the fuel back from the filter overnight? as a check, I released the diesel cap and thought I heard a slight 'gasp' ???  If I prime the hand pump before starting... the fault disappears!

Or 2. An under performing fuel lift pump... if in the tank???

Any advice would be extremely welcome.

Kindest regards Rob.

EmilysDad replied on 01/05/2019 21:07

Posted on 01/05/2019 21:07

Is it not leaking O rings in the high pressure fuel system/rail? ie the system has to reprime in a morning as the fuel has leaked back to the tank,

cyberyacht replied on 02/05/2019 11:13

Posted on 02/05/2019 11:13

I would have thought an under-performing lift pump would manifest in fuel starvation all the time rather than intermittently.

Gorillademo replied on 02/05/2019 15:44

Posted on 02/05/2019 15:44

Thank you to everyone who replied.

The fuel filter has been changed.

When I use the hand prime first thing, I can hear fuel being drawn in to the filter. Which would explain... if I don't prime and drive off, it's using the fuel in the filter, but the demand is not being met from the tank to the filter?

I was hoping someone might have had a tank off and could confirm the lift pump is internal? (as is shown on a youtube video, but the model being shown is newer than mine).

I'll check out the link you suggested.  Failing that... Does anyone have a Haynes explains or similar workshop manual for said vehicle.

Kindest regards.  Rob.

lamont1309 replied on 29/05/2019 13:28

Posted on 29/05/2019 13:28

Hi

I dont think there is a Haynes manual for these, I wouldve loved one. There is a manual produced by a company called Russek which you might find helpfull.

I thought the fuel pump at the tank was accessed via the hatch on the cab floor, I would agree with previous posts that this sounds more like a fuel system which is loosing pressure and there may be a slow leak from an O ring somewhere.

Andrew

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook