Swift Command Tracker

Dandynics replied on 05/11/2021 09:21

Posted on 05/11/2021 09:21

Having only just paid £130 and started to subscribe to this service, my 1st experience of swift command tracker has not been a good one.

A few weeks after starting this service I drove our motorhome to a garage a little over a mile away from its normal storage location. When I returned home, I thought I would check to see how far the garage would drive the van on its test drive. To my surprise the tracker was still showing it in its storage location and not at the garage where it had been left a few hours before.

I contacted swift command for an explanation only to be told the tracker had failed 24 hours earlier, how long would it have been before swift command notified me? With no functioning tracker would my insurance pay out if this was a genuine theft?

A new tracking device is being sent to me free of charge, but I’m having to refit the new unit because I can’t find anyone to carry out the work for a couple of weeks.

I for on am not very impressed

Another DaveB replied on 05/11/2021 10:18

Posted on 05/11/2021 10:18

Interesting - is it just the tracking ability that's failed, or the comms link to the outside world, or the complete unit?

I have been interested in how cold our Swift has got overnight in the frost the last couple of nights (see another thread), and I can connect to it from my computer to see (really about the only use I have for the remote login functionality!)

I am assuming, that, as I can connect, it's all working -- but i would be interested to know if there's a failure mode where the tracker can stop but everything else continue?

And, as you say, how long before you would have been told by Sargent, and whether you would be covered in the event of a theft?

SeasideBill replied on 05/11/2021 10:20

Posted on 05/11/2021 09:21 by Dandynics

Having only just paid £130 and started to subscribe to this service, my 1st experience of swift command tracker has not been a good one.

A few weeks after starting this service I drove our motorhome to a garage a little over a mile away from its normal storage location. When I returned home, I thought I would check to see how far the garage would drive the van on its test drive. To my surprise the tracker was still showing it in its storage location and not at the garage where it had been left a few hours before.

I contacted swift command for an explanation only to be told the tracker had failed 24 hours earlier, how long would it have been before swift command notified me? With no functioning tracker would my insurance pay out if this was a genuine theft?

A new tracking device is being sent to me free of charge, but I’m having to refit the new unit because I can’t find anyone to carry out the work for a couple of weeks.

I for on am not very impressed

Posted on 05/11/2021 10:20

Interesting point, I’m not sure how many trackers would trigger an alert in the event of failure? Depends on the nature of the failure I supposed. Are you able to monitor your tracker sensors remotely? At least then you can check it whenever you wish. 

Dandynics replied on 05/11/2021 18:08

Posted on 05/11/2021 18:08

It’s the whole unit that has failed, nothing works when I use the app on my phone or computer.

I have just received a replacement unit from Sargent no information how I go about locating the existing one in the motorhome or how to install the new one.

But rest assured, they have included a leaflet explaining that I will be issued with an invoice if they don’t receive the old unit back within 30 days.

That really makes me feel like a valued customer!

SeasideBill replied on 05/11/2021 18:34

Posted on 05/11/2021 18:08 by Dandynics

It’s the whole unit that has failed, nothing works when I use the app on my phone or computer.

I have just received a replacement unit from Sargent no information how I go about locating the existing one in the motorhome or how to install the new one.

But rest assured, they have included a leaflet explaining that I will be issued with an invoice if they don’t receive the old unit back within 30 days.

That really makes me feel like a valued customer!

Posted on 05/11/2021 18:34

I can understand your frustration. Suppliers telling the world where the tracker is located doesn’t sound very smart! It seems Swift Command pre-install their product and then provide the option to activate & subscribe, but looks expensive to me compared to the competition. I’d cancel and buy from somewhere like Rewire Security where a self-fitted tracker can be had for less than £70 with £7 per month subscription and provides you with all the features you’ll ever need. 

Dandynics replied on 05/11/2021 19:00

Posted on 05/11/2021 19:00

It has only been activated for just over 3 weeks, everything worked fine up until 2 days ago.

If i hadn’t driven the van for its mot and service, who knows how long it would have been before Sargent (swift command) would have taken to notify me.

They claim the trackers sends out regular signals to the monitoring station. If it’s not sending out signals there is obviously a problem and they should notify the owner immediately by phone or text! How do they know it hasn’t been disabled by a tech savvy thief?

JVB66 replied on 05/11/2021 19:14

Posted on 05/11/2021 19:14

We have our car insured by a company ,which if not doing High mileages works out much cheaper, as the insured vehicle is fitted with a tracker, which gives every journey the insured vehicle does and also shows where it is when not being used, not as sophisticated as what your is supposed to do but, you can check on your computer/ smart phone any time where it is or moved and are charged a couple  of pence for each mile you do , above the very reasonable base price

Tracker no charge, comes when a policy is taken out

SeasideBill replied on 05/11/2021 19:42

Posted on 05/11/2021 19:00 by Dandynics

It has only been activated for just over 3 weeks, everything worked fine up until 2 days ago.

If i hadn’t driven the van for its mot and service, who knows how long it would have been before Sargent (swift command) would have taken to notify me.

They claim the trackers sends out regular signals to the monitoring station. If it’s not sending out signals there is obviously a problem and they should notify the owner immediately by phone or text! How do they know it hasn’t been disabled by a tech savvy thief?

Posted on 05/11/2021 19:42

A good tracker will have a permanent internal battery and a sensor will trigger an alert if the vehicle power supply is disconnected as in your ‘disabled by tech savvy thief” scenario. Ideally you should fit a tracker with an immobiliser option e.g. option to cut power to fuel pump. Trackers can be overcome with GPS jamming devices, but that’s a fairly sophisticated thief and there’s only so much you can do to protect your vehicle. 

Dandynics replied on 05/11/2021 20:44

Posted on 05/11/2021 20:44

The whole episode leaves me in a worrying situation, my insurance cover could be at risk and I don’t think swift command/Sargent take that on board.

The service so far has proved to be totally inadequate

SeasideBill replied on 05/11/2021 20:53

Posted on 05/11/2021 20:44 by Dandynics

The whole episode leaves me in a worrying situation, my insurance cover could be at risk and I don’t think swift command/Sargent take that on board.

The service so far has proved to be totally inadequate

Posted on 05/11/2021 20:53

As far as insurance is concerned, if it isn’t working you need to inform them until such time as it is, 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook