Storage in motorhome for child car seats

Tiggia replied on 14/08/2020 16:34

Posted on 14/08/2020 16:34

Hi,

We have just joined as we are looking for an entry motorhome. We hired one to see if we enjoyed the experience and it had a garage under the fixed rear double. This was useful to stow away the two kids' car seats (they are bulky as kids are only young).

Is there anywhere else suitable for hiding these seats in different layouts? Thought it would make sense to ask people with experience!

Thanks

Alison

lornalou1 replied on 14/08/2020 16:55

Posted on 14/08/2020 16:55

You say you hired a motorhome so would it not be a good idea to hire a caravan just to compare the two. More room and freedom to still use car for day tripping. Just a thought. cool

derekcyril replied on 14/08/2020 17:21

Posted on 14/08/2020 17:21

Same as last poster , also you can get to places for the kids you could not with a motorhome 

MichaelT replied on 14/08/2020 17:36

Posted on 14/08/2020 17:36

Garage is the best place when not in use and ignore the caravanners MH is much more flexible especially if you travel in EUwink.  Also garage is handy to take bikes, scooters and a whole lot of other stuff you will likely need when taking kids away.  I doubt you would get one of the car seats for young kids under any seats etc, you may under an island bed layout but it would be tight and dont forget you need storage for all the other stuff you take such as food, clothes, food, crockery, cutlery etc..

brue replied on 14/08/2020 17:43

Posted on 14/08/2020 17:43

In a small van, maybe a campervan you could either store them in waterproof covers under the van or use a small pop up type tent and store them in there. When members of my family used a van with two young children they used a spare storage tent or on longer stays they used an awning. There's usually a solution! smile 

Tinwheeler replied on 14/08/2020 17:47

Posted on 14/08/2020 17:47

Depending on layout, the cab might be suitable for storage of things like the kiddy seats when on site.

replied on 14/08/2020 18:20

Posted on 14/08/2020 18:20

Personally I would store in the front seats

JVB66 replied on 14/08/2020 19:22

Posted on 14/08/2020 19:22

If you decide on a motor caravan?and are thinking of going into mainland Europe,  If not going out of this country ,make sure it is not too big,   if,the front seats are not being used during the day use them ,or you could have a back box fitted on the rear  to store them there (as well as some other light things)

With small children a motor caravan has not the room size for length of a caravan and you also can leave the seats in the car ready for instant use as is the car 

DavidKlyne replied on 14/08/2020 20:48

Posted on 14/08/2020 16:34 by Tiggia

Hi,

We have just joined as we are looking for an entry motorhome. We hired one to see if we enjoyed the experience and it had a garage under the fixed rear double. This was useful to stow away the two kids' car seats (they are bulky as kids are only young).

Is there anywhere else suitable for hiding these seats in different layouts? Thought it would make sense to ask people with experience!

Thanks

Alison

Posted on 14/08/2020 20:48

Perhaps what you need to do is to take one of the car seats to a dealers and have a wander around the different layouts to look for possibilities of where they could be stored. Assuming that when living in the motorhome, as opposed to actually driving, they could just sit on top of the unused bunks. In sleeping configuration if you have to slide a section out to make up the bed they could perhaps go there. No doubt the cab seats will be turned round into the habitation area and as TW suggest there could well be room for storage behind the seats. 

David

peedee replied on 15/08/2020 07:42

Posted on 15/08/2020 07:42

I have always found the overcab bed a useful storage space for larger  bulky items. At bedtime you could transfer them elsewhere, perhaps onto the front seats.

Brue's idea is a good one and works well as long as you are not continually on the move.

Lots of people use the shower cubicles for storage and use the on site facilities for ablutions.

peedee

Tiggia replied on 15/08/2020 10:33

Posted on 15/08/2020 10:33

Wow, thanks for all the messages, really helpful.

We had considered both caravan and MH with my parents who will be sharing with us (and they were previously caravanners), but for various reasons on both sides that I won't bore you with we have decided to go for MH hence the trial run.

I shall discuss further with the hubby some of the different ideas.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook