Sterilising water system

replied on 19/04/2022 16:09

Posted on 19/04/2022 16:09

Looking for advice on cleaning out the pipework on our Roller Team, having not used it for at least 6 months. Is the best thing just to fill up the water tank, drop a tablet (or some Milton) in it and then run all the taps/shower after a few hours? I saw somewhere that it is a good idea to take it for a drive (I guess to slop the water around).  

Any tips very welcome.

Also on how to stop the washing up smelling of the sterilising tablets when clean! 

Many thanks.

Clive G. 

Justus2 replied on 19/04/2022 16:23

Posted on 19/04/2022 16:23

I wouldn't recommend Milton, it isn't good for the water heater.. Like many others I use Puriclean, designed for the job with instructions on the pack... I usually fill the system, leave for the recommended time, drain then refill with tap water then drain again before filling for actual use. Works well for me and available from caravan dealers or online. 

Cornersteady replied on 19/04/2022 16:33

Posted on 19/04/2022 16:33

From recall on previous threads I believe that Milton isn't a good idea as it may erode or react or do something with the plastic pipes or tank?

Best to get dedicated stuff I think? We just use sterilising tablets from the dealer.

As to the taste not sure but we don't actually drink from the caravan supply as we use bottled water although we do wash up with it.

Some say it's Ok to drink and others don't, it's a personal choice and when we used bottled water we don't get any 'tummy bugs'. Actually we buy a 5L bottle then often refill it from the wash/veg prep area.

eribaMotters replied on 19/04/2022 18:32

Posted on 19/04/2022 18:32

I used baby bottle sterilising tablets before being put right about the adverse effects they can have on the metal elements of the hot water heater. I now use Puriclean at the start of the season. It does cost more, but a tub of the stuff goes a long way. It is also non tainting on taste, unlike the tablets that needed more than a flush or two after treatment.

Colin

justjn replied on 19/04/2022 18:51

Posted on 19/04/2022 18:51

I have bought some Puriclean and instructions mention turning on taps to flush it through. We have a truma boiler and not sure whether I should draw the water through that, or just open cold taps. Can anyone help

eribaMotters replied on 19/04/2022 19:45

Posted on 19/04/2022 19:45

I put 10L in my on-board tank and dissolved the Puriclean in it, opened the cold taps and left open until the taps ran freely. I then opened ran the hot taps and did the same. This means my boiler, taps and pipes are all filled.  I left for ?? hours, emptied and flushed out in a similar manner. You need to do similar to ensure anywhere water could have got to is sterilised.

Colin 

ADP1963 replied on 19/04/2022 20:22

Posted on 19/04/2022 20:22

I have used Milton in my Caravans water systems since 1978 and have had no detrimental affects to any parts whatsoever. Perhaps I have been lucky as I accept others will know more than me regarding this issue.

ABM replied on 19/04/2022 22:58

Posted on 19/04/2022 18:51 by justjn

I have bought some Puriclean and instructions mention turning on taps to flush it through. We have a truma boiler and not sure whether I should draw the water through that, or just open cold taps. Can anyone help

Posted on 19/04/2022 22:58

There should be no problems what so ever, Justjn, if you follow the directions that come with the Puriclean. 

{  Like others I don't drink from the built-in tanks  ~~ personally I prefer to use a cup,  dammit, it's much easier on my aged knees  wink  }

peedee replied on 20/04/2022 06:52

Posted on 20/04/2022 06:52

I had so much trouble with waterpump seals failing which was thought to be down to flushing that  i have not put anything other than water in my tanks for the last 15 years and we have never had as much as an upset stomach.

peedee

MrRoute replied on 20/04/2022 07:43

Posted on 19/04/2022 20:22 by ADP1963

I have used Milton in my Caravans water systems since 1978 and have had no detrimental affects to any parts whatsoever. Perhaps I have been lucky as I accept others will know more than me regarding this issue.

Posted on 20/04/2022 07:43

likewise.

Burgundy replied on 20/04/2022 09:35

Posted on 20/04/2022 09:35

Here’s the reply I got from ALDE when I enquired about using Milton in the water system.

”Thank you for your email, we never recommend using Milton through the system as it is highly corrosive to the boiler. If you were looking for a product we recommend Puriclean by a company called cleantabs,”

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook