Spare wheel

T rev replied on 08/09/2021 13:14

Posted on 08/09/2021 13:14

I would be very nervous about buying a motorhome without a spare wheel. What experience has anyone had with the repair kits?

Tinwheeler replied on 08/09/2021 14:32

Posted on 08/09/2021 14:32

In my experience with a Merc Sprinter, the supplied compressor wasn’t up to the job so we fitted a spare wheel on the towbar.

Subsequent Peugeot and Fiat vans have had spare wheels as standard.

EmilysDad replied on 08/09/2021 15:08

Posted on 08/09/2021 15:08

depends on the damage to the tyre, the can of gloop is only suitable for small punctures. If a tyre lets go at any kind of motorway speed it'll have generally destroyed itself by the time you get to the hard shoulder .... assuming there is one and all the cans of gloop in the world won't get get you on the road again.

chasncath replied on 08/09/2021 15:08

Posted on 08/09/2021 15:08

If you ever need to have a roadside tyre change, having a spare wheel with a matching tyre could avoid problems with finding a matching tyre. I have heard and read of breakdown companies insisting on replacing both tyres on the same axle (front/rear).

EmilysDad replied on 08/09/2021 15:14

Posted on 08/09/2021 15:08 by chasncath

If you ever need to have a roadside tyre change, having a spare wheel with a matching tyre could avoid problems with finding a matching tyre. I have heard and read of breakdown companies insisting on replacing both tyres on the same axle (front/rear).

Posted on 08/09/2021 15:14

it's always a good idea to replace tyres in pairs but a spare is only intended to get you going again & get to a place where you can repair/replace the original tyre. Spare tyres are increasingly going to be a space saver (at best) and will be nothing like the size of the original. Have you seen the size of some cars' tyres? They're HUGE! Not the kind of thing you'd want to lug around with you ... just in case.

young thomas replied on 08/09/2021 15:28

Posted on 08/09/2021 15:28

My compressor works very well when used for checking pressures and id been relying on one for nearly 6 years across two German vans with no spare.

i know have a spare new tyre in the garage which is easily changed at rhe riadside, compared with sourcing the right tyre 

i may even get a soare wheel to stick it in sometime

DavidKlyne replied on 08/09/2021 16:24

Posted on 08/09/2021 16:24

I would always prefer a spare wheel. My first motorhome had one as standard but my current one didn't so I specified a spare wheel and frame as part of the purchase.

Depending on your base vehicle and whether you have steel or alloy wheels you may have not too costly options. It seems that quite a few people upgrade from steel to alloy wheels so I have noticed on various  Facebook groups people selling steel rims quite cheaply. 

David

GrahamS1 replied on 08/09/2021 22:05

Posted on 08/09/2021 22:05

I wouldn't consider any vehicle without a spare wheel. Imagine a puncture late evening or early morning that couldn't be repaired with a repair kit, and having to wait until the morning before a spare tyre could be sourced?

EmilysDad replied on 09/09/2021 00:03

Posted on 08/09/2021 22:05 by GrahamS1

I wouldn't consider any vehicle without a spare wheel. Imagine a puncture late evening or early morning that couldn't be repaired with a repair kit, and having to wait until the morning before a spare tyre could be sourced?

Posted on 09/09/2021 00:03

I kinda agree with you ... but when was the last time you got a puncture that kept you off the road? Loads of cars these days don't have a spare & don't even have room for one because there's now an Adblue tank in there instead. I've used a Smart car for work (around 50 mile round trip) for the last 4 or 5 yrs & the lack of spare has never crossed my mind

hitchglitch replied on 09/09/2021 18:11

Posted on 09/09/2021 18:11

My Peugeot based motorhome has a spare wheel but I believe they don’t recommend trying to change it yourself but call a breakdown service. Understandable that jacking a 3.5 tonne motorhome could be tricky.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook