Slow draining sink, plumbing

jeff001 replied on 28/05/2018 21:02

Posted on 28/05/2018 21:02

This is similar discussion to another previous one,  we have an East Fifer camper van, and the sink is slow to drain, a couple of observations, there doesn't appear to be the conventional p trap, to trap smells as you would get with home plumbing, but also shouldn't there be a breather pipe to the grey water tank to let air out, as the sink water goes in. Is this normal practice?

beero replied on 28/05/2018 23:21

Posted on 28/05/2018 23:21

No P traps is normal and providing you clean your tank yearly and don't wash too much food or milk residue down the sink you shouldn't have a problem with smells. As for a breather, the washroom sink acts as a breather on mine. If your sink blows back and bubbles whilst draining then that proves the tank needs venting to let air out. Sinks are normally slow because the bore of the pipe is so small and corrugated piping can also slow the flow. If a previous owner has washed fat down the sink you could have partially blocked pipes.

young thomas replied on 29/05/2018 06:54

Posted on 29/05/2018 06:54

we don't have corrugated pipe from sink/shower to waste tank, we have a 'clear/white' strong wide(ish) bore plastic pipe which runs freely and stays clean....you can sometimes even hear the water rush to the tank...

it costs little more to put in decent plumbing than to put in cheap stuff.

our waste tank has three moulded inlets, one from the kitchen sink, one from the bathroom sink and one from the shower, which has two outlets merged into one pipe.

each pipe run is seperate with no joins (or back blowing) to other routes.

perhaps you could change the pipework?

jeff001 replied on 29/05/2018 22:32

Posted on 29/05/2018 22:32

Thanks for reply, we have the corrugated type pipe, which I thinks slows flow down, so I will probably replace pipe with smooth bore type, and I will check to see how the sink and bathroom waste pipe are merged.

MotorHomer2 replied on 30/05/2018 13:28

Posted on 30/05/2018 13:28

Have a look at CAK Tanks. They do a corrugated pipe with a smooth bore, also waste traps. We have a German van and they seem to use waste traps as standard.

Tinwheeler replied on 30/05/2018 15:26

Posted on 30/05/2018 15:26

If the grey tank had a simple air vent it would also act as an overflow and some people might let the tank contents overflow onto the pitch. Your fresh tank is an example of this set up.

An effective and reliable air vent that prevented overflow would not be cheap.

ABM replied on 30/05/2018 15:49

Posted on 30/05/2018 15:49

BEFORE  you  start  getting  all  technical  try  this  :--

Take  a  couple  of  common  or  garden  bamboo or  similar  skewers  { as  found  in  many  kitchens }  one  pointed  end  down,  t'other  with  point  up.  Inset  gently  and  side  by  side  into  slow  draining  plug 'ole.

Twist  the  two  together  'tween  thumb  and  forefinger  as  if  screwing  a  bottle  top  for  a  half  dozen  twists.

Then  Gently  remove  them  together  onto  a  piece  of  kitchen  roll  or  similar.

If  they  come  out  clean  then  and  only  then  pursue  the  expensive  or  technical  options  !!

If  you  Really  must  spend  money { I'm  notoriously  parsimonious  }  Then  you  can  buy  the  commercial  version  of  the  skewers  at    B & M,  Home  and  Bargain  or  some  such  stores  under  the  trade  name  " The Drain Weasel Plus"  refills.  They  come  without  the  handle  which  ain't  really  needed,  just  three  on  a  cardboard  backing  for  a  couple  of  quid  [  ouch  ]

As  for  the  tank  'Breather'  you've  got  the  drain  in  the  kitchen  sink,  the  wash  basin  And  the  shower  tray  as  well  probably  so  plenty  of  outlets  for  the  air,  as  well  as  Washing  up  liquid,  shower  gels  and or  hair  shampoo  to  'sweeten'  the  vented  air.

B

Lonerangers replied on 16/06/2018 07:21

Posted on 16/06/2018 07:21

I had this issue this weekend, being untechnical , I used the old fashioned approach 0f two tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda with white wine vinegar, leave for ten minutes then pour boiling water down each drain ...hey presto ... good as new , the water ran away quickly....

replied on 16/06/2018 07:50

Posted on 16/06/2018 07:21 by Lonerangers

I had this issue this weekend, being untechnical , I used the old fashioned approach 0f two tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda with white wine vinegar, leave for ten minutes then pour boiling water down each drain ...hey presto ... good as new , the water ran away quickly....

Posted on 16/06/2018 07:50

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook