Selling a motorhome.

Leticia2 replied on 12/07/2018 10:12

Posted on 12/07/2018 10:12

Any thoughts on best time of year to sell a motorhome? Not privately but to a dealer. When do they usually 'stock up'. Sadly it looks as though, for various reasons, we will be selling ours and need to do it with as little hassle as possible with a not too large financial loss. 

Oneputt replied on 12/07/2018 10:30

Posted on 12/07/2018 10:30

Have you thought of putting it through a broker.. When I sold my last van I used a dealer call Downtide to sell it for me.  They ask how much I wanted, their fee was a flat £500 and for that they valet, advertise and display the van.  I didn’t have to worry about con merchants which was a bonus.  My van sold for the price I wanted in exactly in a month.  I would go the same route again.

http://www.downtide.com

lornalou1 replied on 12/07/2018 12:16

Posted on 12/07/2018 12:16

I see the biggest financial lost you would get is from a dealer. probably less than you would get if trading in for a new one.

BlueVanMan replied on 17/07/2018 13:23

Posted on 17/07/2018 13:23

Dealers buying in stock will never offer "good" prices but normally they get the vehicle and you get the money which should be clear cut.

There are dangers in selling on any form of commission or brokerage basis including what happens if the vehicle fails to sell within a reasonable time or within your agreed price parameters. There can also be risks if a dealer becomes insolvent especially if your van has been sold and you have not been paid your cut by the dealer. 

The above cautionary comments are not what you want to hear but what I am essentially saying is be cautious be careful but also have realistic expectations about your return. 

Leticia2 replied on 19/07/2018 16:30

Posted on 19/07/2018 16:30

Thanks to all. Food for thought. Not proceeding at the moment but will be cautious when we do.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook