Scratched windows

greylag replied on 08/03/2018 14:00

Posted on 08/03/2018 14:00

Having had a close encounter with a narrow Welsh hedge lined lane, we now have some marks along the windows.  Can they be DIY'd away or is there a professional out there waiting to do it for me?  

Any info would be appreciated.

Milothedog replied on 08/03/2018 14:17

Posted on 08/03/2018 14:00 by greylag

Having had a close encounter with a narrow Welsh hedge lined lane, we now have some marks along the windows.  Can they be DIY'd away or is there a professional out there waiting to do it for me?  

Any info would be appreciated.

Posted on 08/03/2018 14:17

Used this   Link   on my previous and current caravan windows and well impressed. I had a very deep scratch on my front skylight and removed it completely with it. Only difficult bit was having to work off of a ladder smile 

When my current caravan went back to have the water heater repaired they asked me what I had used on the windows as they looked like new.

Phishing replied on 08/03/2018 20:56

Posted on 08/03/2018 20:56

Brasso if they are surface or if a bit deeper then toothpaste.

If sharp then use a super fine paper 1500 to 2000 grit to soften them and then polish as above.

Not for the feint hearted, try on very small area first.

ocsid replied on 09/03/2018 06:46

Posted on 09/03/2018 06:46

I would seriously recommend that you use nothing but a polishing product specifically formulated to use on acrylic plastic windows.

Using many other products including glass and metal polishes presents a risk of a time delayed chemical attack that can leave the window with a nasty, irrecoverable, rash of micro crazing. These appear as whole number of minute silver glints in the affected areas.

What occurs is the chemicals used in those unsuitable polishes release the inevitable stresses locked up in the plastic from when the window was heat moulded. Alcohols and acetic acid which most metal and glass cleaners contain, along with other agents cause this. 

As said this is not something that happens shortly after doing the job, it is an insidious chemical attack taking typically several weeks into months to reveal its affect.

Before saving a little of the price of buying the right stuff to safely do the job you best check what the replacement cost of these very expensive windows are before using anything else.

See the late knowledgeable John Wickersham's videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryT4vjyC-fM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6q0qGu_14I

greylag replied on 09/03/2018 06:49

Posted on 09/03/2018 06:49

Many thanks for the info......Milo, I will give that bottle a try, any thing will be better than listening to my wife going on.

greylag replied on 09/03/2018 06:52

Posted on 09/03/2018 06:52

Ocsid...I am going to sit down later this morning and watch the videos.. Thanks

greylag replied on 09/03/2018 09:46

Posted on 09/03/2018 09:46

Just watched the videos, one of them used Fenwicks product.....not sure which one I will try.

Thanks again.

Milothedog replied on 09/03/2018 11:49

Posted on 09/03/2018 09:46 by greylag

Just watched the videos, one of them used Fenwicks product.....not sure which one I will try.

Thanks again.

Posted on 09/03/2018 11:49

Its your choice obviously but I didn't find the Fenwicks as good as the Mcguires. 

Let us know how you get on cool

greylag replied on 21/03/2018 20:48

Posted on 21/03/2018 20:48

Well, being a cheapskate, I tried Fenwicks and the result is brilliant.

My wife could not find fault, the windows are sparkiling and all marks have gone.

Big thank you for the advice....really appreciate it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook