Rotten front crossmember 1998 Peugeot Boxer

barrywi replied on 29/10/2012 11:38

Posted on 29/10/2012 11:38

I have just bought a 1998 Autotrail Peugeot Boxer based Cheyenne 634 motor home after a couple of years away from caravanning. We intend to give Motorhoming a try so we can take our dog to France on holiday with us.

Having no real knowledge of the history of the vehicle I decided to start a base line and gave it an oil and filter change, air filter etc. The vehicle has done 56000 miles so a second cam belt change will be done soon for peace of mind.

I decided to grovel underneath and check out the chassis for rust and apart from some rust to the supports for the water tanks and towbar it was surprisingly good for its age. I have already started a process of waxoyl spraying of the cavities which will continue when the weather is warm enough to let the waxoyl spray properly.

The major problem found was right at the front of the vehicle just under the plastic bumber.There is a crossmember which supports the radiator and has the tow loop attached which is held in place with six large bolts, three at each end. I put my fingers over the top of this susbstantial piece of metal and found very large amounts of flaking rust and a rusty split in the hollow section. The vehicle has been MOT'd a few months ago and it was not mentioned so this is why I am writing to warn others.

After research on the internet I found it was a common problem on Boxer vans especially motorhomes. Another owner described his horror at finding it and the process of replacement which is fairly easy. The cross member is available new or second hand( rust free!!!) via several different van parts suppliers, so I have now got a perfectly good piece of metal ready to fit. I have cleaned it up and painted the outside with hammerite and the inside has been soaked in engine oil to avoid further problems. A friend will help me fit it in the next few days. You basically have just to support the radiator using a piece of wood across the wings( application of rags on wing surfaces) unbolt the six bolts , unclip any attached wires and refit the new member. I will report back any problems when we do the job.

The engine on my Boxer is the 2.5 Turbo for reference. I can email any one else the downloaded fitting instructions I found on the web and it is suppose to be an easy two man two hour job including painting the replacement..

Not sure if this problem has been mentioned before as I cannot find a search function to check, but it is worth having the cross member checked if you have a similar aged van.

IrisAndIan replied on 20/10/2020 22:17

Posted on 20/10/2020 22:17

Hi barrywi,

Just seen your thread, been a while since you put it up so perhaps I'm to late. But having just bought a Fiat Ducati which the front member does have some corrosion, I would be grateful if you still have the details how you fitted a new one.

If you no longer have it, well never mind.

Many thanks.

Kind regards, Ian

Tinwheeler replied on 20/10/2020 22:32

Posted on 20/10/2020 22:32

It's 8 years old, I&I, and doesn’t look like Barry has been active on the forum in recent years.

You may have some luck if you search out a Fiat Ducato forum but I can't help feeling that you'd be better off seeking out a repairer if you're not familiar with doing such work yourself.

Good luck.

IrisAndIan replied on 21/10/2020 09:33

Posted on 21/10/2020 09:33

Thanks for the info Tinwheeler, don't see any problems changing it just nice to see how other folk go about it.

Thankfully it's not a big issue at the moment but will be no doubt in the future.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Ian

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook