Renault base vehicle

cornishpixi replied on 19/08/2017 20:06

Posted on 19/08/2017 20:06

Has anyone got a motorhome on a renault base please just wondered how reliable they are most seem to be on a Fiat or Ford. Thanks

Tinwheeler replied on 19/08/2017 21:01

Posted on 19/08/2017 21:01

I'd rather have a Renault than a Fiat. Most converters use Fiat/Peugeot because they're cheap. Therefore, you see more of them.

Look around at what white van man uses for a clue as to reliability. I think you'll find Merc, Ford and Vauxhall aplenty.

Renault/Vauxhall/Nissan used to be the same thing - don't know if the one you're considering falls into that category. I'd suggest doing some Google and forum research.

Toro replied on 20/08/2017 23:07

Posted on 20/08/2017 23:07

The majority of patient transport ambulances in Scotland are Renault vehicles as are the ones that the Red Cross use up here in Scotland

DPF replied on 31/08/2017 07:34

Posted on 31/08/2017 07:34

I've covered 14,000 miles since new in my Fiat Ducato which has been fault-free.

Thornsett replied on 31/08/2017 10:02

Posted on 31/08/2017 10:02

About 3% of EU motorhomes are built on Renaults compared to 83% of Fiats. The Renault has a reputation of a sound workhorse in the commercial market whilst the Ducato is praised for its car like cab - amongst other things. Check out the drab Renault cab compared to Fiat's and ask yourself could you live with it?

Fiats are not cheap vans and it produces base vehicles that are tweaked to suit the motorhome market eg camper chassis. 

Fiat Professional is dedicated to maintaining Fiat/Iveco commercial offerings with some outlets being particularly competent at looking after motorhomes. Some motorhome dealers are now accredited Fiat Professional outfits which means, in theory at least, only one point for habitation and mechanical servicing [handy if a problem crosses over between the two]. Renaults tend to be serviced at car dealerships.

For a motorhomer, I would say that life with a Fiat is probably easier than any other brand. Mine have been reliable. A Renault is a good van if you can live with it. 

Tinwheeler replied on 31/08/2017 15:25

Posted on 31/08/2017 13:51 by EmilysDad

French or Italian innocent Not sure which is worse ..... wink

Posted on 31/08/2017 15:25

I'll stick with my German flyer. laughing

It's sure proved better in every way than the Fix It Again Tomorrow we had.

Biggarmac replied on 31/08/2017 21:27

Posted on 31/08/2017 21:27

My 2007 Pilote motorhome is on a Renault master base.  I love it.  It is an automatic which I bought at the Lincoln motorhome show in Sept 2015.  I get about 28mpg from my 2463cc engine.  Since I have had it I have done 11000 miles in the UK, Spain, France and Belgium.  It is responsive and copes well with gradients and twisty roads.  The only thing that has gone wrong is that the battery failed.  It was the original one which had been in 8 years.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook