Reccommendations for a new leisure battery!

peedee replied on 05/07/2018 13:37

Posted on 05/07/2018 13:37

There have been several posts on this subject, >here is one<. In one recent thread I recommended as long as it was NCC approved it should be ok but if you have seen the recent posts about this scheme on other forums, I now hesitate to recommend going down this route. I think the best advice is if you have been happy with the performance with the one you have, replace it with an identical one. On the other hand if you always use EHU don't waste money on an expensive battery.

peedee

hitchglitch replied on 05/07/2018 13:42

Posted on 05/07/2018 13:42

Agree with peedee but if you want to delve really deeply into the subject I recommend the blogs on aandncaravanservices.co.uk which was a link provided by [Deleted User User] on a different thread. Don’t spend a lot of money unless you are going to be extensively off of EHU and use a lot of power, particularly in winter.

replied on 05/07/2018 15:50

Posted on 05/07/2018 15:50

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

lornalou1 replied on 05/07/2018 22:57

Posted on 05/07/2018 22:57

if you store the van away from home and use a solar panel then a decent battery I think is worth the bit extra.

chasncath replied on 06/07/2018 15:56

Posted on 06/07/2018 15:56

You need to match the battery to your charging unit. Is your old battery a 'gel' battery?  Many continental motorhomes  use this type. The battery type may be selectable on your unit. Why not consult your local tyres and batteries man - he'll get you what you need.

replied on 06/07/2018 16:26

Posted on 06/07/2018 15:56 by chasncath

You need to match the battery to your charging unit. Is your old battery a 'gel' battery?  Many continental motorhomes  use this type. The battery type may be selectable on your unit. Why not consult your local tyres and batteries man - he'll get you what you need.

Posted on 06/07/2018 16:26

tigerfish replied on 06/07/2018 23:14

Posted on 06/07/2018 23:14

Over the years I have tried several different batteries, although of course I am a caravaner as opposed to a motor homer so my comments might not be valid.

I have always used a 110AH Leisure battery, and the best I have had has been a "banner Red Bull"  battery.  Not the cheapest but not the dearest either.  Sealed, so no requirement to  constantly top up and keeps its charge a long time on those rare occasions I am not on an EHU.  The battery is now about 4 years old and no sign of ageing detected.  It is described as a Leisure battery but as i have already said I am unaware whether MH's require a different leisure battery to a caravan.

TF

replied on 07/07/2018 06:58

Posted on 07/07/2018 06:58

hitchglitch replied on 07/07/2018 17:57

Posted on 06/07/2018 23:14 by tigerfish

Over the years I have tried several different batteries, although of course I am a caravaner as opposed to a motor homer so my comments might not be valid.

I have always used a 110AH Leisure battery, and the best I have had has been a "banner Red Bull"  battery.  Not the cheapest but not the dearest either.  Sealed, so no requirement to  constantly top up and keeps its charge a long time on those rare occasions I am not on an EHU.  The battery is now about 4 years old and no sign of ageing detected.  It is described as a Leisure battery but as i have already said I am unaware whether MH's require a different leisure battery to a caravan.

TF

Posted on 07/07/2018 17:57

Many caravans have a motor mover and 110 Ahr batteries are recommended for that application due to the very heavy current drawn by the mover. As has been said several times above, the leisure battery required for a motorhome will depend on how the vehicle is used i.e. whether permanently on EHU or off grid.

replied on 07/07/2018 18:48

Posted on 07/07/2018 17:57 by hitchglitch

Many caravans have a motor mover and 110 Ahr batteries are recommended for that application due to the very heavy current drawn by the mover. As has been said several times above, the leisure battery required for a motorhome will depend on how the vehicle is used i.e. whether permanently on EHU or off grid.

Posted on 07/07/2018 18:48

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook