Re-gluing wood effect fascia covers

salsa66 replied on 20/04/2018 17:22

Posted on 20/04/2018 17:22

I'm looking for advice; I have a Devon Tempest which we bought new just under 18months ago. lovely van great fun and easy to use. the only bug bear is the walnut effect facia surround on the dash board which peels of at the first sign of a warm day. Dealer has re-applied  with the same effect. Devon have stooped using the stuff due to this. Anyone else with the same problem who could offer advice? "Mitre Glue" has been suggested. I have even thought of removing the whole lot but it does look quite nice when attached. any advice will be appreciated.  

HOTORMOMER replied on 30/04/2018 17:58

Posted on 30/04/2018 17:58

Hi salsa66. I used to work in the kitchen cabinet trade and this happened quite often. I got over it by using white p.v.a. wood glue spread on both surfaces and applied heat via an ordinary household iron! You need to place some plain paper on the veneer that's lifted to avoid melting it - assuming it's plastic and then just 'iron' it over. This worked particularly well on the ends of worktops.  I realize there might not be much maneuvering room around dials, switches etc. so might not be too successful. Can you try an area that's not very visible first?

ForestR replied on 03/05/2018 09:52

Posted on 03/05/2018 09:52

I did as Hotormomer suggests over 20 years ago on a caravan with edging strips detaching and they never came off again.

The stuff on telly is Gorilla glue or double sided tape which I also used last year to attach some Velcro and that has also stayed in place.

nelliethehooker replied on 03/05/2018 22:05

Posted on 03/05/2018 09:52 by ForestR

I did as Hotormomer suggests over 20 years ago on a caravan with edging strips detaching and they never came off again.

The stuff on telly is Gorilla glue or double sided tape which I also used last year to attach some Velcro and that has also stayed in place.

Posted on 03/05/2018 22:05

Can you remember where you purchased the edging strips, FR? I could do with a couple of lengths for my Bailey Madrid cupboard edges.

ForestR replied on 04/05/2018 08:15

Posted on 04/05/2018 08:15

I probably bought them from one of the now long gone local diy stores but I have just had a look on eBay and Amazon and they sell both workshop and cupboard iron on edging strips. B & Q also stock some. Hope you find the colour and width you need.

nelliethehooker replied on 04/05/2018 21:46

Posted on 04/05/2018 08:15 by ForestR

I probably bought them from one of the now long gone local diy stores but I have just had a look on eBay and Amazon and they sell both workshop and cupboard iron on edging strips. B & Q also stock some. Hope you find the colour and width you need.

Posted on 04/05/2018 21:46

Thanks, FR, just the advice I was after. Colour might be the hard bit to match.

nelliethehooker replied on 05/05/2018 20:36

Posted on 04/05/2018 22:22 by Navigateur

Have you tried Bailey Parts . . . ?

Posted on 05/05/2018 20:36

No, although perhaps I should go there first to see what's the exact colour I'd require before looking on e-bay etc. Thanks for the tip, Nav.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook