Propane leak detection

EdandJune replied on 18/05/2018 20:53

Posted on 18/05/2018 20:53

Having recently found that our full  6kg propane bottle (weighing14.82kg) became empty (8.8kg) in just 3 days, we are now concerned that an undetected leak could be dangerous to our health.

Propane detectors available for sale on Amazon come in 2 types. Battery hand held  or  mains powered. For short term testing , say at the propane locker, the battery hand held type would be ideal, however, we need a detector /alarm that can run on mains, should we be on an electric hook up, but one which can also run off our domestic on board battery supply.

Does anyone know of a propane detector, suitable for motor homes, that would meet BOTH these requirements?

replied on 18/05/2018 22:04

Posted on 18/05/2018 22:04

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

peedee replied on 19/05/2018 05:50

Posted on 19/05/2018 05:50

The best deterrent against leaks is to have your system checked annually and if you fit a Gaslow Manual Changeopver system it provides an additional facility to check for leaks by checking the level of gas on the meter with both bottles off. If the level of gas indicated on the meter decays rapidly, you have a leak.

ocsid replied on 19/05/2018 07:03

Posted on 19/05/2018 07:03

I am surprised that with a leak of the order of 2 kgs a day there is not an overwhelming reek of "gas" permeating everything. The smell additive is so pungent and lingering.

If in the gas locker so has some chance of being ventilated so possibly not sensed within the van, but there the joints ought to be accessibly enough to "test" with a brushed on detergent solution.

I once had a 6kg Calor with a weep at the valve to body joint, it was minute a much lower loss than discussed here, but the smell from it in the locker was inescapable.

JollyKernow replied on 19/05/2018 07:41

Posted on 19/05/2018 07:41

Hi

Agree with all above.

I have an American rv, they are different in that they have no drop down vents, or ventilation as a euro van has. However, they come equipped with an lpg alarm system that is hard wired at production. It is based in the kitchen area as that's where all lpg using equipment lives. They are very sensitive and boy does that alarm sing! These are available for purchase at the various rv spares dealers in the UK. I get all my parts from a firm called Motorhome Medics in Cheltenham, they have a good ebay shop called rvspares.

Hope this is of helplaughing

JK

replied on 19/05/2018 07:47

Posted on 19/05/2018 07:47

Personally I have a fully mobile detector unit known as SWMBO with a nose that can detect the smallest smell of gas from many meters.

Your 'mobile detector unit' may have the required banshee like screech to raise the alarm but does it not regularly fail in sleep mode?

Randomcamper replied on 19/05/2018 08:03

Posted on 19/05/2018 08:03

Personally I have a fully mobile detector unit known as SWMBO with a nose that can detect the smallest smell of gas from many meters.

Struth..........I thought we were having gas meters on club sites now as well.............

Then I breathed a sigh of relief............you meant metres....wink

DavidKlyne replied on 19/05/2018 10:29

Posted on 19/05/2018 05:50 by peedee

The best deterrent against leaks is to have your system checked annually and if you fit a Gaslow Manual Changeopver system it provides an additional facility to check for leaks by checking the level of gas on the meter with both bottles off. If the level of gas indicated on the meter decays rapidly, you have a leak.

Posted on 19/05/2018 10:29

Agree with Peedee. I have one of these fitted and it provides a quick and easy visual indicator if you have a leak. Although, once you have turned the gas off, the indicator won't stay in the green forever it is the time it takes to go red and I think Gaslow provide that information. 

David

replied on 19/05/2018 11:55

Posted on 19/05/2018 08:03 by Randomcamper

Struth..........I thought we were having gas meters on club sites now as well.............

Then I breathed a sigh of relief............you meant metres....wink

Posted on 19/05/2018 11:55

JollyKernow replied on 19/05/2018 19:02

Posted on 19/05/2018 11:55 by

I did, but she has over the years twice detected leaks from our gas meters.  One inside and the other outside wink.

Posted on 19/05/2018 19:02

Ha, I was taken back to Blazing Saddles and the campfire sceneundecidedyell

JK

replied on 19/05/2018 22:01

Posted on 19/05/2018 22:01

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook