Problems with Floe Drain Down

Apperley replied on 31/10/2018 21:48

Posted on 31/10/2018 21:48

I have a Bailey Autograph that uses the whale adapter fresh water filler system. I recently tried to fully drain the water system using the Floe Whale Drain Down device to pressurise the water system and blow excess water.

I emptied the system first including dumping the water in the boiler.

I connected the Floe device to the water filler and then tried to pressurise the system to 15psi. I got as far as 6.5psi and found the system would not pressurise any further. I checked that all the taps and dump valve were closed but no joy.

I contacted Floe who replied;

"First, let's look at our kit. Some caravans, try to push the whale adapter back out of the wall, when entering pressure. Try to hold the block in firm and read the gauge to see if it helps. You might want someone inside draining the taps first

Next let's look at your own setup. The most common issue for losing air pressure is at the dump valve for the water heater. Try lifting (or get someone) the dump valve up a fraction and see if it closes the valve. The valve is designed to be pushed down with one finger, so it snaps closed. If you use your thumb and forefinger, it can push the lever down too far, lifting the back hinge out of the floor again. By lifting up slightly, this can close it better. Only a hair's breadth though."

I've not had chance to try this yet and just wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem or had any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong.

Thanks in anticipation.

mickysf replied on 01/11/2018 05:28

Posted on 01/11/2018 05:28

It could be the dump valve, I've known someoneembarassed pack bedding down on it and so just pressing it beyond the horizontal thus emptying the system as fast as I could fill it!wink

In all my years I've managed to drain down successfully without the need for this device. Just empty and leave every tap, including the shower mixer tap open in the middle position. I'd still do this mind anyway if I were you.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook