Problems with electric step

BenjiB replied on 12/08/2017 16:56

Posted on 12/08/2017 16:56

Auto Trail Cheyenne 660  2008.  Electric step deploys OK and if left for a while retracts with the remote, although sometimes you need to press the button twice.  It does exactly the same with the switch inside the door and when you start the engine it works but sometimes with a delay.  If you deploy and retract repeatedly it will attempt to retract and then stop at times.  Have removed rubber cover, cleaned and checked home switch which seems OK.  Cleaned all mechanical pivots, all seems free. 

I understand that this works off the vehicle battery, battery starts vehicle OK but is 9 years old.  When you charge the vehicle battery using the on board charger it charges to 12.4 volts but the other reading (I believe its amps) only goes down to 2.5, on the leisure battery it goes down to 1.4.  Could it be the battery?  Or does anyone have any other ideas please.

mickysf replied on 12/08/2017 17:40

Posted on 12/08/2017 17:40

I had the same symptoms on a previous van, turned out to be a faulty relay. Annoyingly when it appeared to have retracted, but not all the way, the beeping would sound after a period of driving.

hitchglitch replied on 13/08/2017 19:21

Posted on 13/08/2017 19:21

The leisure battery should charge to around 12.7 volts so there is potentially a problem there, however, I suspect that the step problem is a separate issue. Lower voltage on a relay might contribute to a relay "sticking" but it's a bit unlikely.

chrisbreen replied on 31/08/2017 13:36

Posted on 31/08/2017 13:36

I had a problem with my electric step the cassette type version it would not retract. This was on a 2015 fiat ducato had to strip it down which wasn't easy . Anyway the problem was it wasn't hitting the limit switch due to build up of mud once cleaned it was ok again .  You would think they would have the limit switches altered so if it does fail it would stay in rather than out.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook